what does EF and EF-S mean?

cgennoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey!

What does EF and EF-S stand for on Canon's lineup of lenses and what is the meaning of each classification?

Thanks!

I'm sure someone will give you the exact wording ...

Here is my understanding.
EF works on all Canon
EF-S will only work on Canon's x1.6 crop cameras such as XT, XTi, 10/20/30/40Ds.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure that EF-S is specifically for Digital Camera's only and EF would be interchangeable between film and digital.

That's correct.

EF is Canon's line of auto focus lenses for their auto focus (EOS) cameras.

EF-S is Canon's line of lenses that are designed specifically for the 'crop factor' camera bodies as mentioned above. These lenses have a smaller image circle and protrude slighter farther toward the camera. That means that they are not compatible with Canon's film SLR EOS cameras or the 'full frame' digital bodies like the 5D or 1DS.

From memory EF stands for ElectroFocus

as for the -s, who knows, every time I've asked someone at Canon they never know the answer

as for the -s, who knows, every time I've asked someone at Canon they never know the answer

Well you must be asking the wrong people because it's on wikipedia (and yes it's confirmed at other sources too, I'm just saying that searching wikipedia for "EF-S" brings it right up, near the top of the page, so it's *fairly* well known info) that it means "short back focus"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back