What editing program should I be using?

The OP noted using raw files. GIMP will not open and convert raw files.

Joe

I’m shooting in raw+jpeg so I need one to open and edit well. Free or really cheap preferably!
Thanks in advance
I use Aperture 3 (Mac OS only) but it is no longer being supported by Apple (big surprise there, or not). It is very easy to use, and I think LightRoom is similar in its ease of learning. If you're on a Windows PC, then you can still find a stand-alone LR, but it won't be updated (ever). If you go for the subscription of PS and LR together, you don't have to use PS, just use the LR function and save yourself from learning PS. Still $10 a month with a 12-month contract, so you're on the hook for $120 a year. I don't know what happens if you decide to quit the subscription. You should ask about that. You will still have the images on your computer, but no more editing if you stop paying them.

This is what I do not like about some software.
Stop paying and it stops working. Well that is the idea of subscription, you are basically renting the software for a defined period of time. Vs. buying a license to use it for an indefinite time.
The other is when they put a time-bomb in the software. So the software STOPS working after a certain amount of time or date, forcing you to upgrade. Or in my case, switch to another software.

The danger for the consumer in both of these models is, if the company goes under, the software will become unusable. I had at least three such instances:
  • The software "calls home" during installation for authentication. If there is no "home" it won't authenticate, and it won't complete the installation. This happens when the company shuts down/goes out of business.
  • Related to this was where the company stopped ALL support for the old software, including the authorization server. They abandon the product.
  • Another where the software "timed out" and refused to function. This is a disguised subscription model. You are renting the software for a period of time, but they don't tell you this when you buy it. Worse is when the current software does not read the old files.

• In all these cases, the traditional safety of a backup copy of the software does not help, because the backup cannot be installed.

Joe
This is a youtube tutorial on how to open raw photos with GIMP 2.10:

Joe
This is a youtube tutorial on how to open raw photos with GIMP 2.10:

Like I said GIMP will not open and convert raw files. That video confirms what I said.

The problem with using a separate raw converter and then moving to GIMP for further processing is that such a procedure is workflow destructive. A non-destructive workflow is better. The irony of the video you posted is that DarkTable which he recommends is one of the more capable parametric editors and gives the user a good shot at realizing a non-destructive workflow for most images.

Joe

I would say that if you are using a non-Fujifilm digital camera, the best choice may be Lightroom + Photoshop, mainly because it is so well represented. There are tons of articles about handling various situations, etc. It is basically a standard.

Fujifilm X-Sensor has a non-Bayesian pattern, and there is some issue as to whether Lightroom does as good a job demosaicing (basically taking the raw RGB data to produce a pixelated image). I chose ON1, but Capture 1 may be better (and signifcantly more expensive). Lightroom probably is just fine, but I did not go that route. ON1 can be used as a plugin to Lightroom and can output photoshop files, so I could still go that route if desired.

I have Photoshop Elements, but can't remember offhand what number I'm on by now... Renewed it in the past year, and discovered you can still pay outright for it, you don't have to subscribe and I don't.

I do minimal editing in post. I don't usually need to do too much. Learn to get proper exposures; that's mostly where I see people having to do a lot of editing because the exposure was off in their original photos. You'll need to learn a certain amount of digital editing so I'd plan on doing some learning and practicing. I started out with photos I just took around home that I could play around with and see what various settings would do, etc.

Yet another suggestion for Lightroom. It's very capable, and "relatively" easy to learn. I bought a stand-alone copy, but if one has a newish camera, the older,stand-alone versions might not open raw files--unless the raws have first been converted to DNG format.

I also use Lightroom and it is my preference for managing and processing Raw files. I also have On1 just so I have a standalone program that is not subscription based.

Before you invest any money you can try those free software like Dark Table. Or use the one that comes with your camera.

Go here
Support for Cameras

Select your camera and then go to the download section. You should see a Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional) download for your Computer OS. While you are there, you can also download other camera utilities.

Article Details

Of course, LR is my choice.

Pretty much the industry standard is lightroom and then add photoshop later. There are tons of videos on youtube to help you get started and for even advanced functions. The down side to adobe is that it is EXPENSIVE like $10 mo for ever. I got mine before they went the subscription rout and I have no plans for going with a subscription. As a free alternative I also use Nikon ViewNX-i and Capture NX-D. These are free Nikon programs that do nice basic editing but are slow and rather complicated to use and learn. They are for Nikon RAW files but will work with any JPEG or TIFF files.

Last edited:
First, I would try the free one that came with your camera. It may have a steep learning curve but it will do everything you need to do. If you don't like that one, try something like Photoshop Elements. It's pretty powerful for beginner and novice level editing. I think it's $100 now, 80 for students. If you're ok with a recurring 10/month, just get Lightroom/PS and be done with it. If you think you are going to stick with photography, you'll probably end up there anyway.

I shoot raw and only process to jpg for posting here or sharing via text or whatever. I use Fast Stone for previewing/viewing, Elements15/CameraRaw for editing raws and stuff like spot healing or sharpening on jpgs. It's enough for me and there's no way in hell I'm signing up for 10/month forever.

I use a couple editors
- OLD version of Picasa. Google no longer supports it, so you have to find some site that has it available for download. It is my 'quick and easy' editor that I use for most the photos I shoot for the yearbook. It can't do a lot, but it does 95% of what I normally do; straightening, lightening, and cropping.
- OLD version of Photoshop Elements. I got it bundled with something that I bought, so it was essentially free to me. Not as feature rich as full blown Photoshop, but good enough for me, and a LOT cheaper. And as limited as it is, compared to full Photoshop, I have not used 50% of it's capabilities.

Before Adobe switched to the subscription model, I had considered Lightroom and Photoshop.
I understand why companies switched to the subscription model. But it does not fit to how I work, so I currently do not subscribe to any software. For me it is a hobby, not a business, so I do not NEED to keep up to the current version. I upgrade after 3+ version upgrades, or when something that I need comes out. If I was in this professionally, then I would subscribe to PS.
I love love picasa..old version or not.. it does a pretty good job.. and i thank you for telling me about it a while ago.. i will always remember that that was a good day and i enjoyed once again being able to edit my photos free........ it used to be free programs on older pc's..such a shame they took so much away and now everything is extra.. this picasa is just right for me.. i am sure theres better but i am satisfied.

I prefer the combo of RawTherapee and Gimp

It's free, open source and works on all platforms.

Last edited:
As was mentioned; GIMP is free, but not easy to learn.
It's as easy as Photoshop, don't know why people seem to think it's difficult.
Only the menus appear slightly different due to the layout, but the workflow is actually the same.

If one needs the photoshop appearance in Gimp, one could simply install GimpShop:
Gimpshop | The Photoshop Free Alternative

Why do people keep suggest pixel manipulating software for simple processing?

Most reactions

Back