UPS says it will be here tomorrow! No matter what happens, "i'm sick" because I ordered this thing in OCTOBER, and i'll be damned if I don't get it because I can't sign for it.
A-hah.. taking a stab at the micro-4/3rds format eh...
Look at what just arrived on my door step via an
Ebay find a couple days ago..
I went ahead and also purchased an adapter (also from
ebay) to allow it to share my M-mount lenses (as you can see in the photo). Its a bit of an odd ball camera but the two days I've had with it have been fun. The EVF in the G1 is an absolute gem. Definitely a demonstration of how technology has advanced the EVF. There's enough quality resolution to adequately focus manual lenses... (still had some focus errors with super fast lenses with shallow DOF). So far the only issue I've had is with the TTL flash... It doesn't seem to operate with manual lenses over and under-exposing no matter what settings I use.
I handled the GF-1 a month ago for a few minutes at a local camera store. It felt really solid and comfortable (especially since I am a rangefinder shooter). All the criticisms I posted against its Olympus E-P1 were put to rest in the GF-1 design. My only hesitations was that the EVF added quite a bit of physical height to the camera, it didn't switch between the EVF and rear LCD displays automatically (like in the G1 and GH1), and the EVF didn't display the full barrage of camera settings. No doubt... It should be a fun camera... Enjoy.
YES!!! I AM SO HAPPY THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE ON HERE SHOOTING MICRO 4/3RDS!!!!
I'm really excited about the GF1, I think it, the G1, and the EP-1 are real breakthroughs in camera design since the Nikon D1. I generally don't invest in first-generation gadgets, but this just seemed too good to not support it. Not to mention, I get a sweet employee discount which makes the GF1 kit an actually sane and reasonable price that makes sense. (it's way overpriced at $900)
I ordered the 14-45G by itself on amazon while they had them in stock for about 5 minutes and paid the full price, which is ok considering it's new and nobody is selling used ones for less than $300 since you can't buy the lens separate practically. Got it in the mail about 4 days ago. And I got the GF1, 20mm kit on a truck right now.
I'm thinking of getting the voightlander 40mm f/1.4 if leica or panasonic don't make a smallish 40-50mm f/1.4 G lens in the future. I just think a short telephoto portrait lens would be an amazing addition on the m4/3rds system and if well executed (meaning small and little distortion), it will be an instant classic like the 20mm already is. The Leica 45mm DG is nice, but a little fat and too slow for the noisy sensors in the m4/3rds cameras IMO.
The EP-1 has nice out of camera Jpegs, and in body IS, but that's it. The GF1 trumps it in everything else, and is an obviously much more mature design.
IBIS is a nice feature to have, and that's why i bought the 14-45. A wide angle/short telephoto, and with IS, when I shoot video it's not all over the place.
The G1 is a nice camera if you can get a good deal on it. When it first came out, it was way too expensive IMO, but hey, it's a revolutionary camera, and the only one of its kind at the time, so it could be expensive.
Agreed about the EVF on it though, it really has to be seen to be believed, supposedly the one for the EP-2 is even
better!
I haven't tried the GF1 EVF, but i plan to just becuase i feel i should. Pro Photo Supply here in Portland has one on display. I don't think i'd get it anyway, unless
maybe I got some MF lenses, and even than it'd be mostly for ergonomics when manual focusing and maybe bright bright daylight. we'll see.
Tomorrow when I get it, first thing i'm doing is charging the battery, and taking the GF1, 20mm, and 14-45, along with my D700, 50mm f/1.4G, and 24-120VR to the waterfront and doing a side by side test between the combinations on the Portland skyline.
I've heard the GF1 has a really weak AA filter and I want to see if it outresolves my D700. And I want to really compare the 20mm against the 50G. I'm going to just assume the 14-45 blows the 24-120VR out of the water. The new 50mm made me realize just how crappy that lens is.
Should be really fun!!