What gear did you start off with?

I started with a D3000. Now I have a D90. I'd suggest to start with the D90.

After some shoot with my father' Kodak instamatic camera (film cartridges + flash cubes, do you remember it?), I had a couple of Zenit.
In the first one the tent shutter failed (a typical failure for Zenit), bought another one (russians were selling them on the way for few money). I still use its lenses on my dSLR (a Zenitar 50/1.9, and a Mir 37/2.8).
Then I had a sort of refusal for weight (about 1kg! russian solidity), and for many years I just used P&S.
First digital was a Kodak 6330, 3MP.
Then started the process again towards dSLR, from P&S with manual controls to be more creative: Canon A520, Canon SX110is, and then the jump to dSLR, to have more speed and less DoF.

In 2009 a Canon 1000D (Xs), since 2011 a 60D.

Except the first Zenit, the others are all still functioning.

My first digital camera was a rebel XT, entry level. I did film photography for years before this so I would have liked something better but it was what I could afford and be able to get lenses also. It was all I really needed for the years I used it, I was shooting very casually and not very often.

i just got my first expensive camera (compared to point-and-shoot) recently... Its a Canon Rebel XSi. I'm very happy with it so far. Came with two lenses, a memory card, carrying case, sun shade, filters, external flash, and a charger. I dunno where the XSi stands as far as "best of best", but I'm having fun with it and thats all that matters to me

Last edited:
I started out with some kind of 110 that recorded to a negative disc that worked for a short time and couldn't find anyone to process it just a couple years later. Canon FTB QL (quick loadin)film. Sony MVC CD1000 in 2000, low res, BIG. Sony MVC CD500, workhorse dependable. 5mg directly to a mini Cd, still use it. Sony DSC H20, 10 mg 10x optical zoom, point n shoot, Zeiss lens. Canon 7D recent addition and feel like I am starting over.

I started out with a Nikon D3000,now I have a Nikon D5100. I'm still pretty new to photography.

Now what are you all shooting with?

Started with the 400D (as said before)

Now currently shooting with Canon 7D, 400D and (once in a blue moon but getting better) my Mamya RB67

Started with a Brownie Jr., which had belonged to my grandfather. Then several Instamatics and a Kodak Disc Camera before getting an SLR (Olympus OM10) for high school graduation. Hated that thing, it broke all. the. time. Moved up to Pentax K1000.
First digital camera was a point-and-shoot, don't remember which one. Moved quickly to the Canon Powershots, had about 4 or 5 of them over the years.

First digital SLR, D5100, about six months ago. And that's what I shoot with now.

It should definitely be noted that regardless of what body you choose, the glass in front of it is waaaaay more important in the long run. If you're lucky, a body will have a lifespan of at most 3-5 years if you care anything about having up to date technology. Great glass is a much better way to spend big money, as you'll be able to use it for much longer (almost unlimited potential if you take good care of your gear.)

jamesbjenkins said:
It should definitely be noted that regardless of what body you choose, the glass in front of it is waaaaay more important in the long run. If you're lucky, a body will have a lifespan of at most 3-5 years if you care anything about having up to date technology. Great glass is a much better way to spend big money, as you'll be able to use it for much longer (almost unlimited potential if you take good care of your gear.)

True, but another note if the camera you buy doesn't have a motor. When you want better lenses you'll spend more on them just so you can autofocus.

Nikon FM and a Yashicamat 124G with a Sekonic Studiomaster

Most reactions

New Topics

Back