What is the best software?

antelope555

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a d-50 and would like to know what is the best editting software out there? Also I don't have a lot of money to spend on this purchase. I have Picture perfect, and Nikon capture but I find them hard to navigate. I would apreciate any input.
Thank you,
antelope555

I have tons of experience with all kinds of software, but must admit I was simply stumped by photo editing softwares. I ultimately decided to go down the road of the various Photoshop routes for the simple reason that it was something so many know quite well, and it would be easy for me to learn by asking.

Adobe makes a very good product called Photoshop Elements. The word Elements connotates that it is their entry level product, but I have to admit that it really includes a lot of features that are good enough even for most intermediate users. It is a very good software, and best of all it has been around for several generations. I think they're up to PS Elements 4 now. There are a lot of free versions available when you buy other products (such as printers) and you can find it on Amazon (their 3rd-party retailers) for around $50.

Apparently there is a free software out there called Gimp, and if you're really into it you can even install a skin that will make it look like PS. Also worth looking at.

Welcome to the forum

antelope555 said:
I have a d-50 and would like to know what is the best editting software out there? Also I don't have a lot of money to spend on this purchase.

As with anything, those two things don't go together. It's like saying you want to buy the best car available...but not wanting to spend more than $20,000.

As mentioned, Photoshop is pretty much the standard for photo/image editing. I believe that the current version is Photoshop CS2, and it's quite expensive. Photoshop elements is a much less expensive option and it's a great program for editing photos.

Photoshop or Photoshop Elements takes some beating and versions for Mac or PC. Have been using it since it first came out many years ago and still learning how it does everything you ask and more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back