What is the "Rarest Bird" you have managed to get a decent image of?

Lez325

Wildlife Photographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
if its ok to start a thread?

Mine is the elusive and quite rare " Chough" found in only a few places here in the UK a member of the Crow family - a very comical bird to watch and has some quite brilliant Arial abilities too

I managed to get close enough to this one @ a Place called South Stacks in North Wales some 5 hours drive from my home, But I had to get a shot

Here he is

q9kLHvs.jpg

And a close 2nd would be the illusive" Bittern"

gNPV2Bj.jpg

Lets see yours

Les :)

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmmmm, that's a very interesting question.

Never even seen a Chough but they are glorious birds.

I suppose for me something like a Brambling which I've only ever seen once but they are not particularly rare nation wide. You just don't get them in my area at all so that was a thrill. Similarly with the Nuthatch. Totally non existent here but 80-100 miles away they are plentiful.

I'll have to have a real think tho.

Don't get them here neither.

Nah, definately not here. Reported to be some about 30 miles away but never seen them there. Certainly none in may immediate locale.

How do you find the Water Rail?

Dense reeds around freshwater and muddy ditches are the Water Rails usual habitat. Notes: A frustrating bird to see, the Water Rail is most often heard calling from dense vegetation. Occasionally a bird will be seen to run across an open area between cover.

Water rail very elusive - do see them sometimes but not often

Here's one of mine from last Summer

Fp1xkoF.jpg

Les :)

Hmmmmmmmmmm, that's a very interesting question.

Never even seen a Chough but they are glorious birds.

I suppose for me something like a Brambling which I've only ever seen once but they are not particularly rare nation wide. You just don't get them in my area at all so that was a thrill. Similarly with the Nuthatch. Totally non existent here but 80-100 miles away they are plentiful.

I'll have to have a real think tho.
Looking forward to seeing what you have- as for Bramblings- I personally have never Photographed one :(

Seen them a couple of times donkeys years ago in the North Sea. Did get a pic but it was for ID only. Too far away to be of usable quality.

Nice set, I don't think I've seen a chough before. I believe I do have a shot of an American Bittern but it's on my old hd that isn't hooked up. Maybe someday I'll get over the wall of procrastination to do something about that and post the pic along with some others. I got a shot of a red-shouldered hawk taking a bath somewhere in there, also. Was a rare shot for me, anyhow. I'd never seen that 'in the wild' before then.

I'd say the rarest shot is a decent shot of ANY bird at all. Bird shots are hard.

Most reactions

Back