what is up with this shot?

nikon90s

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took my son to the mall tonight for halloween and some of the shots I took have these white dots all over them. Any one know what is going on?

I was uning a d70 and my sigma 28-70mm f2.8

51615876.jpg

51617196.jpg

If I had to guess, it's a high/max ISO and under-exposed. If this is true, then I would say niose is the cause. But with out exposure data and knowing the situation I can't say for sure. Try to reproduce it in a dimmly lit situation that you can use as a benckmark. Then increase the exposure composition about 1/2 stop to see if it disappears of is greatly diminished. On my camera noise shows up as red dots so I may be all wet on this one. As a general rule you always want to shoot for the shadows by keeping the highlights a little underexposed. BUT, in low light shots, slightly overexpose to keep the shadow noise at a minium.

Really need a 100% crop to see what is going on. It looks almost like pixel overheating from too long of exposure. But based on the shots that definately isn't the case.

How about a 100% crop and the exif information?

wow this is really weird.

I took it into PS to try and emphasize it to see what the hell is going on.

It looks like the 'noise' is only in the dark shadows. I would've thought that noise was uniform over the whole image though... not just in certain dark shadows it's trying to bring out.

Unless something's gone wrong with the in camera processing of the image.

Attachments

• $weird.jpg
    $weird.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 165
ahhh i suggest that if you haven't already... get on the phone to nikon.

(another reason why I shoot canon.... hehehehe just joking everyone, you can calm down. :mrgreen: )

Meysha said:
(another reason why I shoot canon.... hehehehe just joking everyone, you can calm down. :mrgreen: )

I am looking at getting a canon 20d, I have never been totaly happy with the d70 and the lenses i have. I love my nikon n90s great camera but I never use it any more. I just need to get all new nikon glass or make the move to canon. :angry1:

I have never been totaly happy with the d70

You are the first D70 shooter I have heard say they were not tickled pink with there camera. Most rave on and on about the 70. I think the problem you are now having might be a warranty issue. Have you updated the cameras firmware? What other issues are you having?

jstuedle said:
You are the first D70 shooter I have heard say they were not tickled pink with there camera. Most rave on and on about the 70. I think the problem you are now having might be a warranty issue. Have you updated the cameras firmware? What other issues are you having?

The other issue I am having is I can almost never get a tack sharp shot, the issues I think is my lenses. they work great on my n90s but fall short on the D70 I could just get all new lenses or just start over with a new camera too. I have used a few canons and have loved the shots I got with the kit lens. Also, I work for a place that sells canon so I could get a better deal going that way. You can take a look at my pbase site and see what I am talking about. most are taking with the d70

www.pbase.com/jason_lake

Most reactions

Back