What is your End Game?

Well, as far as End Game I've done everything from Molten Core through Ice Crown Cita.. oh wait wrong forum...

Interesting exercise, obviously everyone has ideas and goals on what they'd like but sometimes it can be tough to express it coherently.

Personally I've always had a love for photography; I love the idea of capturing moments in time and being able to look back to them and share them with others. You could say that's just a snapshot but its not always easy conveying what you see in a photograph.. in music you may have all the notes but the arrangement is what is important -- the lighting, composition, etc all tie together to express the moment. This is what I strive to accomplish, identifying the components of a moment and utilizing my knowledge and experience to best represent them in the final product.

When I was young I wasted many-a-roll in my father's P&S 35mm... a Minolta if I remember correctly... and I was always met with criticism of how I've wasted so much money. In high school my sophomore year I signed up for a Photography course, giving me the excuse that the money spent was for school and so justified. I learned a good deal about the history of photography, camera mechanisms, and the dark room. In fact, from B&W film development (my high school didn't have the money or permits for color film development chemicals..) to creating prints I felt I spent more time in the darkroom than out trying new things. I purchased a Rebel XTi w/ 18-55mm kit lens my freshman year of College and for all intents and purposes used it as a point and shoot until I graduated in May. As a double major in Microbiology and Political Science I didn't have to much time to explore this hobby and passion :(

Recently I 'sold' my XTi to my father for like, 30% of what I paid for it with about 3k shots on the shutter and got the 50D, not that I advanced past the capabilities of the XTi but I'm not a small guy and I wanted something in my hands that felt substantial, and the 50D body (now gripped) certainly does. I love the thing and have been constantly shooting, trying things that pop into my head and I've seen/read here. It has really become that passion it once was.

I currently work 40-50hrs a week at a hospital from 3pm to midnight, so I'm getting frustrated never finding myself with good light outside inside or out (I tend to sleep 6am-1pm, as I'm pretty wired after work), but I'm working on it.

My end goal is to acquire as much knowledge relating to photography as I can to advance my photographs to a level I am happy with, and perhaps wow a few people along the way :) As you all know/can see in the last couple of months I've posted about everything from Portraits to Landscapes and even recently some shots I took at a charity fashion show :p ... though any rarely get through my self-criticism to make it to the boards.

This forum has been an invaluable source of information which has helped me be more aware of issues and constructive when criticizing my own work, which is far more beneficial than getting frustrated and mashing the delete button. While I have no current intention of using Photography as a source of income, I suppose my goal is to advance to a level at which I could, then continue to push the limits of my abilities.

Sorry for the book, I just enjoyed hearing others' backgrounds and motivations and wanted to share mine.

I just want to take really nice pictures of my kids/family. Throw in a decent poster size something or other around the house would be nice but thats about it. My career is set for the next 15 years or so.

Well, as far as End Game I've done everything from Molten Core through Ice Crown Cita.. oh wait wrong forum...

Interesting exercise, obviously everyone has ideas and goals on what they'd like but sometimes it can be tough to express it coherently.

I take it you've downed Hogger, too? Tough bugger, he is.

But yes, does seem like it's something that's hard to express. I have no professional aspirations, nor do I have any artistic training...

I want to be able to take beautiful shots wherever I travel (I am a Human/Urban Geographer - most of my shots would be of buildings and the environment) and be able to share my shots with the people around me.

I want to be able to take beautiful shots wherever I travel (I am a Human/Urban Geographer. . .

:thumbup:
More often than not Geographers, myself included, take photography very serious.

Last edited:
I mostly just want to become good enough to take a "hanger" every now and then. I also want to get the most out of vacations. I don't like having to tell someone "The picture doesn't do it justice," or "It was better in person." I want my photos to do justice to wherever/whatever I'm shooting so viewers of my photos can have as close to the experience as possible that I had.

For formal education, I took private acrylic lessons while I was in high school although I never became good at it. After barely getting a BS in geography (flunked meteorology), I went back to school and got an associates in Television broadcast where I learned how to shoot video, which is very similar to photography.

I want to get into editorial stock photography. ( Although I have been dragging my feet a lot lately )

I also have an interest in fine art photography. I would like to get entered into some competitions eventually and get some recognition, maybe have a showing at a local gallery. ( This is all once I get better, so I don't want it coming off as being pompous. )

Thank you for starting this thread, it is fun to see what others goal are. Personally, I just figured out that being behind a lens is where I want to be.

Recently a friend of mine had a baby and invited me into the delivery room to take pictures of the birth. It felt like I came home, that is definitely what I want to be taking pictures of!

As for education, lots of TPF, many books and currently enrolled in a Photoshop class taught by a truly gifted graphic designer. I hope to someday make enough money to pay for this hobby..and perhaps some food.

:lmao:
Low expectations, eh?
I really want to know if you're gay or not. The suspense is killing me.

:lol:

My end, what? Bitter I just want to remember to take the lens cap off..

Once I get past that.. I would LOVE to be able to take pictures like Dom and you. I got a LONG ways to go.

Off to work on my "taking the lens caps off" technique.

Hobby for me. I like shooting action rather than still. Spontaneous rather than setup shots. So I lean more towards Events, Sport, Friends, Street etc. But who knows, I do like the other kinds of photography very much as well.

The major thing that made me get into it though, was looking at my travel pics taken with my P&S and being very dissapointed. I want my travel pics from now on to make people wish they were there.

I work professionally in the film industry (like photography, but at 24 fps :) ). I am hoping alot of cinematography knowledge translates across.

Last edited:
( This is all once I get better, so I don't want it coming off as being pompous. )

You're not being pompous. Having goals is a positive thing.

Thank you for starting this thread, it is fun to see what others goal are.
You are welcome. In some other discussions, it dawned on me that we all come at this "hobby" from different perspectives. Often C&C is given from our own point of view. That's not a bad thing. It's always good to pay attention to different points of view. I am glad people are participating in this discussion. I think it's cool to see where we are all at now, and where we want to be, and how long our roads are. :thumbup:

My end, what? Bitter I just want to remember to take the lens cap off..

Once I get past that.. I would LOVE to be able to take pictures like Dom and you. I got a LONG ways to go.
You'll get there! I remember your goal was to take better pictures of your family, to put in scrapbooks/photo albums for when your kidlets are older, they can remember all the places they have been and things they have done. That's pretty awesome if you ask me.

I think you would benefit from a personal trainer. :sexywink:

I really want to know if you're gay or not. The suspense is killing me.

Why is this sooooo important to you?
Maybe you should post a poll.

Same here...I just got Deathbringer's Will !

For the moment its only a hobby, but my dream would be to be a photojournalist.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back