What is your End Game?

Well, I started taking pics less then a year ago. I enjoy abstract and minimalist shots. I find myself more relaxed, slowing down, and learning to look more at the little details of life. Just a simple drive to the store now has me looking out the window searching for the next possible shot and seeing things that I never knew were there. So in someways I ve already reached a short term goal. But long term.....fun fun fun and stuff to hang on my wall!

I have a lot of background in art. I ve taken many classes over the years. I think it helps a lot w/ composition and having an eye for subjects.

I really want to know if you're gay or not. The suspense is killing me.

Why is this sooooo important to you?
Maybe you should post a poll.

It's not lol, I just noticed you said "partner" and I like to pride myself as someone who pays attention to small detail. I just want to know if I'm right. I could not care less if you are or not. :)

I'll shoot, and thoroughly enjoy shooting, almost anything, but my business is for portrait and wedding photography and I have a particular love of people shooting.

I've found that pictures that don't contain special moments are much harder to sell - they have to be perfect and very unique - so that aspect is mostly for me, as a hobby. I love shooting flowers and landscapes and especially water droplets on things.

As for higher education training, I have none to speak of. I am naturally an artsy person, and the technical aspect comes easily for me as well - in that respect I consider myself blessed. Most of my technical know how comes from Google and lots of practice.

A career? I had mine!

I had a Minolta SLR in my late teens (50s) & wanted to make photography a career but life got in the way. Now in my late 60s I have renewed my interest & can afford a little equipment. Now it is digital & more complicated but for me photography is just to see what I can do.

Gaud, life is short.

Im really starting to look into wildlife and landscape photography for magazines, although im only 14 and i havent tryed much, going on a hike this weekend and hopefully il get some great pictures!

Not really sure...

Right now I have no plans and no goals.

There are a lot of things I'd like to do one day, but I don't think I'm good enough to do any of them right now.

I get lucky sometimes, but I'm not convinced that it's much more than that at this point.

Probably 80-90% of the pictures I take are family snapshots, so I feel like I'm way behind on everything else.

I'd like to make a few coins to pay for the gear. Like back in the day...... buy a pound so mine was free.

But there is no end game. I'm having way too much fun.

When this thread first popped up I was interested mainly because I didn't have an answer. I was prompted to give it some thought and this what I've come up with. I want nothing more from photography than the feeling of accomplishment from learning and applying while creating and having fun. I enjoy pretty well every aspect of it. From scouting for places to shoot to sitting at this desk doing post processing. I also love researching gear and being a noob I have so many different directions I can take so I'm wonderfully overwhelmed with choices.

The way I figure it, the only thing I could do at this or any point to take the fun out of this would be to attempt to do it professionally. Not that I am or will be in the near future anywhere near talented/experienced enough to undertake such an endeavor, but even if I were I wouldn't. I spent the entirety of my twenties working in a job that started as a hobby. I no longer care for that hobby. It completely burned me out on it and took every bit of joy out of it. While I'll never say never, I can't imagine making that mistake again.

Plus making money as a photographer generally requires dealing with and photographing people, which I'm not real keen on. A decade of working retail kind of burned me out on people too as most of them tend to irritate me.

Probably 80-90% of the pictures I take are family snapshots, so I feel like I'm way behind on everything else.

After browsing your Flickr, I'd say 80-90% of your shots ar of beer. :p :lmao:

...burned me out on people too as most of them tend to irritate me.
Most tend to irritate me too.

Honestly, I was never into photography at all until last summer. My wife on the other hand is a natural when it comes to arts or music. I can play an mp3 no problem, where she likes pianos and violins. We are a fairly young couple with children ages 7 and 2, so our main reason for buying our DSLR was to capture their growing years for them. Now after some shooting and lots of reading, it's growing on me. I'm more of technical person so I see it as a challenge to learn new things and how they work. It will never be more than a hobby for me though. And as bentcountershaft said, I don't think I'd ever want to do it professionally.

kundalini said:
But there is no end game. I'm having way too much fun.

I agree with that statement!

Thought I'd revive this for the new batch of members the bus dropped off. :p

Cool thread.

My background is Architecture. I'm into photography only for the art... it helps open my eyes to the world in a different way.

Most reactions

Back