What kind of camera straps do you guys like.

jamesparker1250

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got my Nikon D3200 about a month ago and it came with a neck strap which I don't really care for. What kind do you guys use and where did you get it from.

Black rapid curve. Bh photo

Black Rapid Sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackRapid Curve and Double.

I have a blackrapid... I think. It's one of those ones that slings over your shoulder and allows you to drop the camera without worrying much. I love this thing for anytime I'm using the camera on a professional gig. Gives me a lot of freedom and allows me to rest the camera more easily.

I also have a detachable one... crap... can't remember... ugh... *goes to look* Ok, it's a tamrac and it has plastic clips that decouple easily. Allows me to switch quickly between standard shoulder strap and the blackrapid. My only complaint with the strap is that the clips are plastic and that makes me a tiny bit nervous. I've been using two of them for about two years now, and I'm pretty confident in them.

Get it off your neck, another vote for Black Rapid. I have both the single and double straps and don't leave home without them. If a neck strap is a must then the Optech straps are good with nice wide support and a little stretch to take some of the bouncing off your neck. BTW, Canon uses the Optech to give out to their CPS members.

The modern-era Nikon and Canon original equipment "wide" style, stock straps have been okay for me. I also really have liked the Optech brand straps for the last 20 years or so. Whatever strap you go with has to fit your style.

I just use the OED strap when walking around short distances and such.
Any time I'm walking long enough for it to really start to hurt, I usually have more than one lens with me anyway, and thus just keep the camera in the bag at my waist. OR in a cotton carrier lite holster if I plan on being really active or know I'll be out all damn day.
http://www.digitaldepot.co.uk/media...d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/o/cotton_lite_kit01.jpg

Black rapid is much nicer than a cheap or OED strap, but I think the cotton carrier is significantly better than the black rapids ones if you're truly active enough to need better support (climbing around rocks, hiking long distances to site, all day shoots), because black rapid still puts weight on your shoulders. Cotton puts it 95% on your hips, center of mass, best place on your body to hold weight, you literally can't feel it at all. You could go run 5 miles and not be any more tired than if you weren't carrying anything, and no sore spots.

If I didn't want to spend the money on other things as a higher priority, I would probably get all of the above (black rapid for normal walking, bag for medium, cotton for strenuous)

Last edited:
Blackrapids are excellent, but I decided to save the money for some other things and got a Trekking strap. It's long enough to go across the body. Great for a budget, well made to last a while until the money for something else becomes available, and have quick release clips that are AWESOME if you use a tripod/go in and out of a studio a lot

trekking camera straps | B&H Photo Video

What I REALLY want is one of these:

Heavy Leather NYC Camera Strap New Canon SLR 35mm Leica Nikon Pentax Hasselblad | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
get with the 1890s, man.
Except that nobody in the 1890s glued gears to their clothes. Nor I suspect would any alternative history versions of them. Just like nobody today glues intel processors to their clothes. :meh:

I like the brown one that they have in some of the images in that same listing though - like the guy in san francisco is wearing.

Most reactions

Back