What kind of Camera???

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Manderlyn, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Manderlyn

Manderlyn TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew the best beginner camera??? I don't have a camera, but am looking. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you
    :sexywink:

2. DiskoJoe

DiskoJoe Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    how much you want to spend?

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The best kind of camera is the one that you can afford.

It depends on several factors: The most important being budget. Cameras can cost between $100 and $50,000+. Assuming that you want a DSLR, than you're looking at a budget of $500 - $10,000. The next consideration is what you want to do with the camera, and what kind of subjects you like to shoot. The last (but not the least important) is form factor and ergonomics. In other words, how does the camera fit your hands.

Your best bet will be to decide on a budget and head to a camera store (A real camera store, NOT a big-box store that also happens to sell cameras) and discuss options with a salesperson.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Manderlyn

Manderlyn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, anywhere's from $100-$600 for a starter camera, I mostly want to shoot outside, nature and landscapes are my passion... thank you for your adivce... :sexywink:

5. DorkSterr

DorkSterr No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon D3100 14.2MP DSLR Camera With AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm VR Lens Kit

• Like Like x 1
  6. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  7. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I shall heartily disagree :)
    The best camera for a beginner with no camera is either a Fujifilm X10 or a Canon G1x. Don't get into a DSLR unless you don't mind carrying it around.
    Alternatively use an iPhone4S and learn to see the image before taking the picture.

8. Manderlyn

Manderlyn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh okay, I will check them all out, and see what one works best for me.... Thank you everyone... :sexywink:

9. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Really?

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I LOVE the iPhone 4's camera and video camera, and have shot over 5,000 stills and video with mine within the past eight months. But for "outside nature and landscapes" the single focal length is a bit restrictive. For my eye, at least. The iPhone's camera functions can be supplemented by downloading different camera apps, like Camera Control Pro, which really DOES help turn the iPhone into a higher-percentage shooter. Where the iPhone falls down is in lower light; it tends to select slightly too-slow shutter speeds many times, which lead to subject motion blur; the programmed exposure control's "curve" needs some tweaking, IMHO. It ought to notch the ISO up much higher, much sooner, rather than stay at f/2.8 and 1/15 second under so,so,so,so many scenarios; it would be FAR better if it would immediately move the ISO upward to 800 to 1,000 and keep the shutter speed in the 1/60 range, as opposed to 1/15.

• Like Like x 2
  11. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ABSOLUTELY! One beautifully composed meaningful picture is worth at least a hundred perfectly exposed focussed pictures of absolutely nothing. Unless of course that's what the client is paying you to do. 3 of my favourite photographers started out with a 13x18 cm wooden chamber, a Contax T3 compact 35mm camera, and another one generates absolutely beautiful images with her iPhone4S.

It's all about vision. Having a better camera means you can get better quality images but they do not mean that you will take better pictures.

12. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

It comes down to the person in the end. DSLRs are capable of much more scope for growth and features as well as quality, but on the flipside they are a much bigger investment. If you want to get serious with them you've got to buy additional lenses to cover the same ranges as what a point and shoot might cover with just its single lens. This is a choice people have to make on their own as to how far down the money hole they jump - and one should not forget that there are still budget DSLR lenses and options.

My own personal experience is that for a person willing to learn and put the time and investment into it you can certainly start with a DSLR without any prior experience in photography or a previous camera. That was the path I personally took (didn't quite expect to end up this far down the rabbit hole as a result but that was a pleasing surprise) and haven't looked back since.

The market is also a little more flexible now as there are the hybrid cameras to consider. They are like the Olympus Pen series (EP and EPL series) and the Panasonic G series. These offer DSLR-like controls and features as well as interchangable lenses, but with a much smaller camera body (the oly is pretty much like a pocket point and shoot). The advantage being smaller size and weight - though they are still not cheap bodies and can command a fairly serious price to them - just like the DSLRs.

• Like Like x 1