What lens for Ballgame

illbowhunter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to St Louis in a few weeks and going to take in a Cardinals game while there. I am thinking about renting a different lens for the game. Our seats are in the box seats (party box) in the right field. I want something to get good pictures of the players and action. I have a Nikon D5000 with the kit lenses (18-55) and (70-200). The 70-200 would be good but is there a better one you can suggest to try?

When you say kit lenses, do you mean the 55-200 vice 70-200?

I would assume that even wtih the good seats, you will still be a ways back from the action, so the longer the glass the better. If you have a 70-200 that would be my choice, ideally, a 200-400 f4, but that might stretch the buget a tad.

I would assume that even wtih the good seats, you will still be a ways back from the action, so the longer the glass the better. If you have a 70-200 that would be my choice, ideally, a 200-400 f4, but that might stretch the buget a tad.

LOL did you miss the "I have a Nikon D5000 with the kit lenses (18-55) and (70-200). The 70-200 would be good but is there a better one you can suggest to try?"

Although I don't know Canon Lens, I would suggest once you find out, try to rent it instead of buying it. Wnated to give you a heads up on that.

LOL did you miss the "I have a Nikon D5000 with the kit lenses (18-55) and (70-200). The 70-200 would be good but is there a better one you can suggest to try?"

Although I don't know Canon Lens, I would suggest once you find out, try to rent it instead of buying it. Wnated to give you a heads up on that.
No, didn't miss that. I'm simply not aware of any D5000 package which ships with a 70-200 lens as part of the kit. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

By its nature, baseball is kind of spread out. Great big lenses are needed from the stands. And behind home plate is better (to get photos of the pitcher), or close by the first base or third base sides (to get photos of batters).

Where you are going to be...not sure you can get much.

I am looking to RENT the lens

Understood; I just wasn't clear on what glass you already had, as your initial post indicates you have a D5000 with kit lenses. Since I wasn't aware of any 70-200 that ships as part of a D5000 kit, I wondered if that might be a typo.

With respect to your question, the glass that will give you the most versatility I believe will be a 70-200 2.8 and a 200-400 f4. Both high-end, full-frame 'gold ring' lenses. Realisitically, assuming the weather is half-decent and and it's sunny, a 70-300 f4-5.6 would probably do fine and not cost a lot.

Another consideration is whether the venue will even permit you to use that gear. A lot of places automatically assume that anyone with a big lens is a professional and therefore the photographs they're taking are for commercial purposes. The 70-300 would likely allow you stay much further under the radar if that is the case in this stadium.

"Most ballparks don't let you bring in lenses longer than 8 or 9 inches. I'd look into that before spending any money getting something long. "

Never thought about that!

[/QUOTE]Understood; I just wasn't clear on what glass you already had, as your initial post indicates you have a D5000 with kit lenses. Since I wasn't aware of any 70-200 that ships as part of a D5000 kit, I wondered if that might be a typo. [/QUOTE]
My bad. It is a 55-200 lens. The 70-200 is on my wish list.

I've brought my Sigma 100-300 f/4 into Diamondbacks games (it's a good baseball focal length lens), but I've also had it turned away (depends on the mood of the particular security guy you get). Officially the stance of most major league teams is that "professional photography equipment" is not allowed. What that means is up to interpretation. Definitely get some input from your venue (on paper) before you spend money to rent. The other option is to wear very baggy pants :)

Most reactions

Back