What's new

What light meter should I get?

momo3boys

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 3, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
26
Location
Western MA, USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have never used a light meter other than the one in my camera, so I'm curious if I should get one, and after some searching there are a lot of different ones, what one should I get. I am not new to photography, but I am no professional. (I get paid for weddings and portraits but its definitely not high end.) What are the benefits to using a light meter other than the one on the camera?
 
I used the Sekonic L358... it is a good, relatively inexpensive meter. I use it mostly for setting up flash shots outdoors, with good ambient background exposures with the primary subject about a half stop brighter than the background, for "pop". But it is excellent for any metering needs... especially for really accurate flash (and fast) portraiture metering.
 
I would try and get hold of a used Minolta V great meter £450 when they were new
 
Last edited:
I would try and get hold of a used Minolta V get meter £450 when they were new
Second this! I picked mine up for ~$150, and it's an outstanding meter. Every function you could possibly want except for the ability to wirelessly trip your strobes (It has a PC port, so you can trip them via PC cable).
 
I would try and get hold of a used Minolta V get meter £450 when they were new
Second this! I picked mine up for ~$150, and it's an outstanding meter. Every function you could possibly want except for the ability to wirelessly trip your strobes (It has a PC port, so you can trip them via PC cable).

I use my wireless trigger
 
I would try and get hold of a used Minolta V get meter £450 when they were new
Second this! I picked mine up for ~$150, and it's an outstanding meter. Every function you could possibly want except for the ability to wirelessly trip your strobes (It has a PC port, so you can trip them via PC cable).

I use my wireless trigger
Moi aussi; just pointing out that it is about the only featuring lacking in the Flash V (and, IMO, a very minor one). Beats the pants off of the 300-series Sekonics.
 
Second this! I picked mine up for ~$150, and it's an outstanding meter. Every function you could possibly want except for the ability to wirelessly trip your strobes (It has a PC port, so you can trip them via PC cable).

I use my wireless trigger
Moi aussi; just pointing out that it is about the only featuring lacking in the Flash V (and, IMO, a very minor one). Beats the pants off of the 300-series Sekonics.


You can also read ambient and flash together
 
I use a sekonic L 358 I use it indoor and out door portraits with flash lights
 
I use a Gossen Starlight (now replaced by the Starlight 2).

Ambient, reflected, as well as 5° and 1° spots. Can calculate 9 readings for an average, as well as add up 9 strobe triggers.

I used it this morning while the sun came up over Lake Michigan along the Chicago skyline. My camera was 30' up in the air, and I didn't want to use Auto exposure. Having the meter, I could take all sorts of light readings to set the exposure through the computer, which was tethered to the camera set in M.
 
*moving to equipment subsection*
 
Thank you! I'm sorry if I put it in the wrong section. I'm still new here and I haven't even seen all the sections yet!

If I do get a light Meter for my birthday, is there an easy tutorial somewhere? I may get paid but that doesn't mean I don't have a lot to learn!
 
The best tutorial you'll ever find is to take some time with your camera & meter. Go forth and actuate. Make a note of the difference the in-camera meter settings and what your hand-held is saying. Look at the scene in the viewfinder and try to understand why there is a difference, if any.
 
The best tutorial you'll ever find is to take some time with your camera & meter. Go forth and actuate. Make a note of the difference the in-camera meter settings and what your hand-held is saying. Look at the scene in the viewfinder and try to understand why there is a difference, if any.

You just made my sig. :D
 
[h=2]What light meter should I get?[/h]
None. At least not until you have any idea why you even need one.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom