What made you decide to upgrade to a better DSLR body?

People mention more AF points as a reason to upgrade.

I only use one. I know LOTS of people that only use one. Don't any of you find it frustrating trying to get your AF points to cooperate?

one more in the club. in every non-action shot i only use one AF point.
For action shots in certain AF modes, more ("invisible") points close to the central means better precision.

but ... better AF can be a reason.

I only use one. I know LOTS of people that only use one. Don't any of you find it frustrating trying to get your AF points to cooperate?

The odd time it may take a couple tries and if it still doesn't focus on the intended subject, I just do a quick manual focus. It seems to work often enough to stick with it though, since a lot of the time the center isn't what I'm trying to focus on.

At what point did you reach your potential with your beginner DSLR and made the upgrade to a better body? Was it the Lenses? Features?

Basically how do you know when your ready to graduate to the next DSLR body?

I had my Nikon E8800 and never really exploited the manual side of it at all. My pictures came out really good for a point and shoot... but I knew it was time for a dSLR after about 18 months of use and decided to make a choice between the D80 or D200 Nikon products.

I realized it was time to upgrade becuase of quality of the pictures, the challenge of getting better pictures and the desire to want to learn more about my hobby and getting a camera that would last me a while as I learned about photography.

Honestly, some may say that the D200 was overkill for me initially, but now I realize it was the best choice. It took me to a level beyond what I was hoping for in terms of knowledge and results.

My path is not for everyone, but it was the right way for me. :)

I'll be upgrading my D50 to a D80 shortly for 3 main reasons.

1. The option of ISO 100 (minimum 200 on the D50).
2. 10MP instead of 6MP.
3. More AF points. ;)

According to your sig, you only own an 18-70 lens and you would rather upgrade the body than purchase, say, another lens to get more range? Is 18-70 enough for you? Just curious...

I bought a Pentax K110D last February, and after a few months was lusting after the K10D, well, it's price has dropped dramatically in the past few months, and there is NO doubt it is by far the best bang for the buck in a digital SLR, i recd my bonus check, and cashed in 2 weeks sick pay a few weeks ago, and decided to take the plunge, bought the camera body, and battery grip, and after rebates it will cost me about $640. I love it so far !!!
2118873255_3b0b49b194_o.jpg

Went from a D40 to D70s after 2 months of owning the D40. Reasons in order of most important

Wanted to use the fast primes for indoor low light
2 command dials
Dedicated buttons to quickly change WB, ISO, etc...
More AF points
Screen on top to see my settings without turning on back LCD screen (more handy than I ever could have imagined)

I upgraded from a Canon 40D to a Nikon D300. :lol:

The features of the D300 and the additional megapixels was the deciding factor and I love the feel of the Nikon.

I upgraded because the D300 has better high ISO performance, shoots faster, is more rugged, has better controls, yadda yadda yadda than my D80 did.

Honestly, if one can't see the intrinsic difference in real value of owning a D300 over a D80 for somebody who shoots in all weather conditions, then I can't explain it.

Not at all. Im used to changing my AF points so much depnding on what Im trying to get out of it. While granted I use the center mostly, I do move it around alot.

According to your sig, you only own an 18-70 lens and you would rather upgrade the body than purchase, say, another lens to get more range? Is 18-70 enough for you? Just curious...

I'll be getting a 70-200mm 2.8 at roughly the same time as my camera upgrade, I'm just still deciding between nikon or sigma for the lens. The lack of 70mm+ has been hurting me don't worry. ;)

I'm also grabbing the 50mm 1.8 in the near future.

I upgraded from a D80 to a D300 for a few reasons. One, I wanted better high-ISO performance, because I shoot low-light a lot. Two, my dad wanted a dSLR and was willing to buy my D80 off of me so that gave me some money towards the D300. Three, I wanted a body that was more rugged and better-sealed as I shoot outdoors a lot and wanted to feel more comfortable doing so. The D80 is great, don't get me wrong. I just really wanted better high-ISO performance. I haven't looked back since. And once I can find a 70-200 in stock at B&H, I'll be all over that.

I upgraded to the D300 for a few reasons
1) My wife wanted a camera of her own (She now has my D70s)
2) ISO Performance (All I can say is WOW)
3) Higher FPS, it is a bit like a drug, now I want the Grip to get up to 8FPS
I need a PC Sync for my studio lights

I upgraded to the D300 for a few reasons
1) My wife wanted a camera of her own (She now has my D70s)
2) ISO Performance (All I can say is WOW)
3) Higher FPS, it is a bit like a drug, now I want the Grip to get up to 8FPS
I need a PC Sync for my studio lights

Oh yes, I forgot the speed! I haven't utilized it yet, but I'm sure I will once golf season rolls around. Mmm, golf...

The ISO performance on the D300 is ridiculous, that alone was worth the upgrade in my opinion. It allow me to handhold shots I never thought possible. I can't imagine what shooting a D3 feels like, meow!

:heart:
one more in the club. in every non-action shot i only use one AF point.
For action shots in certain AF modes, more ("invisible") points close to the central means better precision.

but ... better AF can be a reason.

He nailed that.

For action shots, the option of the numerous af points available today are so percise and accurate, its almost.. foolish not to use it. But for other scenarios like, portraits and when you have to use the TTL metering, single af is the way to go.

(if anyone hasnt checked the d300's 51 af point system.. check it, youll fall in love.. i sure did :heart:, im upgrading end of this summer. im getting a new glass first. :wink:

The odd time it may take a couple tries and if it still doesn't focus on the intended subject, I just do a quick manual focus. It seems to work often enough to stick with it though, since a lot of the time the center isn't what I'm trying to focus on.

Not at all. Im used to changing my AF points so much depnding on what Im trying to get out of it. While granted I use the center mostly, I do move it around alot.

You do realize you can recompose after the focus locks, right?

Most reactions

Back