What makes you so passionate about the photography you do, or want to do?

The better I get, the better the people are that I dare to compare myself to.
I'm pretty much guaranteed to always suck no matter how good I get.

What more could you ask for?

Dont compare yourself to other people because you will never be them(you will always be you), but look to them for inspiration and ideas.

I dunno exactly what drives me, or even if I would call it "passionate", but there's definitely something going on in me that won't just let this photography thing go.

I caught the bug in 1969 when I was 10. That's when a neighbor showed me his fancy TLR and introduced me to the idea that taking a picture isn't just about pointing a camera at something and pressing the button that makes it go 'click' - common in my suburban household. No, a real photographer could do all KINDS of stuff and make a photo look any number of ways because they had CONTROL they used beyond just the shutter button when making a photo.

DOF was just the coolest thing I'd ever had explained to me at the time, and from the moment I looked down into that hood at the large ground glass screen, with it's upside down image of the world in front of me - I was totally hooked, and there was no turning back. What had been seen could not be unseen!

That was the summer that a man on the moon was walking around snapping photos with a Hasselblad, including the soon to be iconic "Earthrise". That was the summer that photography came out of nowhere, slammed me in the head full force from every direction, and took over a large part of my brain and my life.

I immediately bought a cheap point and shoot Kodak, which was all I could immediately afford on my 10 year old allowance, and started snapping. Then another cheap camera, and another, and another. At 19, finally with a decent job and a little money in my pocket, I started to get gear-serious, and got a used Nikon F Photomic. Still have it, love it and shoot with it occasionally - the thing is solid as a tank. More gear followed. More lenses, more cameras, more gizmos.

I poured over books and magazines to learn how to control it, filled notebooks full of settings to compare when I got my film back, and kept shooting - anything, everything, it didn't even matter what, though I've gone through plenty of genre phases where I concentrated on learning some particular aspect of photography.

And it just never stopped. I'm still buying gear, still reading everything I can get my hands on to keep learning how to control it, still shooting anything and everything. The only significant difference is that I've gone digital, so no more notebooks full of settings - I have EXIF for that, and no more binders and boxes full of negatives - I have hard drives and backup hard drives for the RAW files.

I got the bug at 10 years old. I'm 53 now - and it just never stopped. I don't see it ever stopping as long as I'm still breathing. I can't explain why it grabbed me the way it did and never let go - that would probably take a shrink, and I just don't care enough about the "why" to pursue an answer. ;)
Thats's cool that you started off as a film photographer, Im sure you know a bunch of stuff US new digital photographers are trying to learn.

I think the word passion is over-used by people when they talk about photography, but how they feel about it is what's most important to them personally. I have gone through years where I really just enjoyed going out with a camera and shooting flowers and birds. I have been working as a photographer for over 40 years, it is all I have ever done. It is a job, and like jobs comes with all the pressures and stresses of the work, some days not so much fun.

It has also allowed me to travel the world paid for by someone else, I've seen things and been to places that most people would only dream of, I have been able to create memories for other people... people I have never met and likely never will... they will never know who I am, or where the photo came from. Inspite of all the garbage, threats of violence, guns pointed in my face, dealing with idiots, and the new wunderkids chasing my spot on the food chain, it is the best job in the world. No passion, just always wanted to be the best I could be and make a difference with photographs on other people lives.

If you were paying a photographer a bunch of money to take your photo's, wouldn't you want to hire someone that not only knew what they were doing, but loved it? When your passionate about something or someone you go above and beyond just the normal, you put everything that you have into it.

... the light that just makes me scream inside is early morning like or evening light. Even if I'm not photographing what I see, it just makes me feel so much better and seeing beautiful light in the sky or reflected on a tree ...

It isn't so much the light for me, although this is the best light, but just looking intently at everything and once in a while being just frozen by something I see, so much so that it seems as if the rest of the world has stopped. I can't tell you how many times someone has looked at one of my images and said: "I never would have noticed that." The more aware I am of all the detail around me, the happier I am, whether I'm photographing it or not.
I think everyone should stop once in a while, and look at the beauty in nature all around us even in the little things.

I think the word passion is over-used by people when they talk about photography, but how they feel about it is what's most important to them personally. I have gone through years where I really just enjoyed going out with a camera and shooting flowers and birds. I have been working as a photographer for over 40 years, it is all I have ever done. It is a job, and like jobs comes with all the pressures and stresses of the work, some days not so much fun.

It has also allowed me to travel the world paid for by someone else, I've seen things and been to places that most people would only dream of, I have been able to create memories for other people... people I have never met and likely never will... they will never know who I am, or where the photo came from. Inspite of all the garbage, threats of violence, guns pointed in my face, dealing with idiots, and the new wunderkids chasing my spot on the food chain, it is the best job in the world. No passion, just always wanted to be the best I could be and make a difference with photographs on other people lives.

If you were paying a photographer a bunch of money to take your photo's, wouldn't you want to hire someone that not only knew what they were doing, but loved it? When your passionate about something or someone you go above and beyond just the normal, you put everything that you have into it.

I put everything I have into every photo assignment I've ever shot. My clients know that when they hire me they never have to worry about the quality of the images that they get. I am hired because I am very good at what I do with a camera and the respect that I show my clients. I don't believe that you have to be passionate about something to be great at it.

I like photography because it lets me share the beautiful things I see with others. Have them experience and remember that life around us is full of surprises. It's amazing how most banal things can be pictured in such a way that people will look at them and enjoy the prettiness.

If there is one kind of photography that gets me excited its wildlife photography. Insects, birds, turtles, whatever! I suppose I like it for the spontaneity and the challenge it involves since you really only have one chance to nail that "perfect" shot. Its like gold mining, you get a lot of dust, but occasionally you catch one big nugget and it makes all the effort worthwhile!

*cremt* multi-quote *cremt*

Fun hobby, for me :)

[This is a question for everyone, I would like to know] For me [1] is I like for people to see themselves as do, everyone has beauty in them, or something that's just special about them and everyone doesn't see that and I like to capture it. [2] Since I became interested in photography I look at light everywhere I am, and the light that just makes me scream inside is early morning like or evening light. Even if I'm not photographing what I see, it just makes me feel so much better and seeing beautiful light in the sky or reflected on a tree is so simple, but it just makes me feel all warm inside. Anyways write below what you shoot that makes your heart sing. :)

The constant learning and the ladies in front of the camera

That moment when you see the shot you just took for the first time and it makes you say "Holy ****!".

I love shooting weddings b/c it's a total thrill ride for the entire shoot. No redos, no do-overs, no mulligans. You miss a shot, it's gone. That knowledge keeps me on my toes and keeps the adrenaline going the whole day. What a rush!

It almost seems like cheating getting paid thousands to have so much fun... :lmao:

I like the free food and drinks!

To not be self hating, lol!

Most reactions

Back