What not to shoot

Sherman Banks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've created this thread so that those new to photography can know when they're wasting their time/battery power/memory by pointing their camera at something dumb and pushing the shutter button.

One subject I propose people not shoot is ducks. Seriously, when has a duck shot been amazing? They all look the same with the duck just floating out there on the water doing nothing. Whether ROT's or plainly centered, there is never any visual interest. If you could make the duck wear a hat, I might be interested but it probably won't last long. It's the biggest dumb shot I see here repeatedly and unless you have an undying love for this aquatic avian, please don't waste your time taking pictures of it.

Please post your feelings about this subject or any other subject you propose people not waste their time shooting.

My feeling is if someone wants to shoot something they should just go ahead and shoot it. Who am I to tell them what they should or shouldn't shoot. It's their camera, let them shoot what they want with it.

Quack!

586392555_fDkRW-M.jpg

too literal how? I personally think ducks are creepy little buggers but some people like ducks. heck they decorate their dens with little plastic mallards..

if something inspires you to personally pick up a camera and shoot something then you should shoot it.

never let anyone tell you that you shouldn't shoot something (unless its in a museum or something corny like that)

Quack! Quack!

I like those mallards, personally. At least they don't attack me like geese do. >.<

if something inspires you to personally pick up a camera and shoot something then you should shoot it.

never let anyone tell you that you shouldn't shoot something (unless its in a museum or something corny like that)

Why is the museum off limits when it has the possibility to inspire somebody to shoot? What you're trying to say is exactly what I'm saying. Why shoot something that is going to look exactly the same as everyone else's shot and has very little possibility of elevating your skill (unless you're truly starting out and learning the technical aspects of exposure)? If you want to shoot a duck shot because it greatly touched your heart, be my guest. Just don't expect people to praise it if you come asking for C&C.

Why is the museum off limits when it has the possibility to inspire somebody to shoot? What you're trying to say is exactly what I'm saying. Why shoot something that is going to look exactly the same as everyone else's shot and has very little possibility of elevating your skill (unless you're truly starting out and learning the technical aspects of exposure)? If you want to shoot a duck shot because it greatly touched your heart, be my guest. Just don't expect people to praise it if you come asking for C&C.

a museum is generally off limits because you get every tom dick and harry who don't turn off their flash jepordizing the quality of the art.

but for a begining photographer, I feel as if they should soot everything in sight... how else are you going to learn and make mistakes. and while it may just be a picture of a duck to you maybe they learn something about the reflection in water or natural lighting. everything is a learning oppertunity.

maybe you would have been better off posting a topic about things that they shouldn't post because it doesn't lead to good c&c as opposed to not shooting something.

the difference when you're shooting something that looks exactally the same as everyone elses is that its not someone elses. its yours. I live somewhere that people take pictures of the same harbour front at least 100 times a day, yet instead of ignoring that shot because everyone takes it and you can buy a copy of it anywhere, I wanted my photo to hang on the wall. it may just be a photo of a duck to you, but its something personal to somone else.

just my two cents.

If you want to shoot a duck shot because it greatly touched your heart, be my guest. Just don't expect people to praise it if you come asking for C&C.
So what you're really trying to say is "What not to ask C&C for."

Most reactions

Back