What not to shoot

Methinks this thread is a not-so-perfectly received attempt at humour. ;)

Though Newfette said something that peeked my interest. I think many of us start-out shooting everything in sight that's pretty, or not pretty, or whatever. It's when photogs make that transition from "Go out and shoot like mad" to "Plan where, when, and why I'll be somewhere, to shoot what, and how I'm going to shoot it" is when they/we start to really "get it". (I've noticed I'm shooting way less now, and it's probably because I've gotten my newbie spur of "oooooh cool!" out and now I'm thinking more along the lines of actually planning shoots and getting exactly the shot I want. Except for events...then it's running and gunning all the way.)

DucksInaRow-Copycopy.jpg

Is it OK to shoot geese?

Keith beat me to the punch, but I had the same question......

Geese-Landing-05.jpg

:D

Methinks this thread is a not-so-perfectly received attempt at humour. ;)

Yes, you're exactly right. But let me be clear, I shoot almost anything in front of me and yes I am a beginner too. But in shooting everything in front of me, I've realized that many of my shots are just run of the mill, plain old overdone shots. Did I learn anything from them? Probably not. Is it possible to learn something from them? Yes, but most of the kinds of shots I'm talking about (ducks being my example) are not thought out shots. They are just "ooh, a duck. click".
I intended this to be a humorous thread where we could all discuss the shots we hate to see and the desire we have for people to stop taking them. But now it's turned into a whole "Sherman is an elitist who hates noobs" thread. Sorry if I've offended any duck shooters out there, and yes Kmh, geese are a different class of bird holding slightly more visual interest than a duck.

I do enjoy that this is turning into a thread about ducks lol
Duck shots are always welcomed over at POTN. In fact, it's customary to take a picture of a duck and post the image whenever you buy new photo equipment.

[QUOTE Just don't expect people to praise it if you come asking for C&C.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure of the point you are trying to make. Is it too easy to get a duck shot & not one of say a wolverine? Would you give greater credit to a bad shot of a wolverine than a good one of a duck?

Ease of access dictates much of what we shoot & thus we have many pet shots but all pet shots are not just "snapshots", some have more to them than that. As it is with wildlife pics, including ducks, some are more than quick snapshots.

I am a one finger hunt & peck guy so my posts are terse but I would love to have such a discussion with folk in person.

I do enjoy that this is turning into a thread about ducks lol
Duck shots are always welcomed over at POTN. In fact, it's customary to take a picture of a duck and post the image whenever you buy new photo equipment.

Not only that, but they have a whole section dedicated to bird shots! TPF FTL.

Is it too easy to get a duck shot & not one of say a wolverine? Would you give greater credit to a bad shot of a wolverine than a good one of a duck?
A quick google image search found 16,900,000 duck images and only 2,890,000 wolverine images, most of which are of the superhero. So that being said, yes I'll give credit to the wolverine shot as it's not something I see all the time (if at all).

Ease of access dictates much of what we shoot & thus we have many pet shots but all pet shots are not just "snapshots", some have more to them than that. As it is with wildlife pics, including ducks, some are more than quick snapshots.

I understand that some people make a living shooting wildlife, including ducks, and obviously not all pet shots are snapshots. But it's more often than not they are just a fast point and shoot.

I am a one finger hunt & peck guy so my posts are terse but I would love to have such a discussion with folk in person.

Are you proposing a wrestling match?

I don't mind ducks, really.
What gets my goat, is people who can't use the edit button on the forum.

..... and obviously not all pet shots are snapshots. But it's more often than not they are just a fast point and shoot.
Sometimes all you are able to get is a fast point and shoot. Sometimes that fast point and shoot, if done well enough, might be the shot that finds them a home. I volunteer at my local animal shelter.

20623Lucky-4.jpg

21326Buck-2.jpg

18182Dameon-1.jpg

15595-Hiru-6.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'm shooting ducks tomorrow,lol,duck season is now open!

What about butterflies,once you shoot/post some you realize they are everywhere!

OH OH OH! HUSKY!! Nawwwwwwwww... :hug::

Volunteering my photography skills at a local shelter really is something I ought to do.

Most reactions

Back