What quality lenses to get for Canon 40D or 30D?

photogizmo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am thinking of getting a kit with my 40D or 30D with EFS 17-85 IS USM Lens. What I would like to know is:
- If I was after really great quality photos but on a budget, what lens should I get that's the same price as a EFS 17-85 IS USM lens at Ebay prices.
- Would I be better off putting that money on a quality lens that doesn't have IS USM Zoom etc with it and different brands.
- I can only afford the price of an EFS IS USM lens at Ebay prices. Probably like $350 US or $400 Australian if I buy just the body.

I have heard of people just buying a lens with a fixed zoom, etc. and they just go up closely or move back to get the shots they want rather than buying a lens with zoom.

What would you do, if you were to buy the camera I mentioned but can only afford one lens but would like your photos to be used for Graphic Design and maybe sell the photos.

How much of a difference is the IS USM lens compared to the standard kit lenses you get with the 40D and 30D.

That's not quality that's features you're talking about there. IS and USM really only help when doing handheld photography in low light or when tracking fast moving objects where the lens may be slow to focus.

It's really up to you what to do but I would not have a fixed focal lens as your only lens. That is just frustrating. Buy a lens that is convenient to use now and worry about quality later if you can't afford it.

I have just ordered my 40D with 17-85 lens. I am really concerned that in reviews it states that the lens is not that great between 17-35 but it excells in 35-85.

I do not want to be taking pics and realise that the photos could be better with the right lens. It would be a waste of a good shot.

I am thinking about the tamron 18-50 /2.8 somthing like that.

Most reactions

Back