what 's the best 1st lens to own?

djgodman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i'm about to buy a canon 40d anytime soon (like this afternoon :D) and i just want to know what lens should i get with it? is it best for me to get the kit? if so, do i get the 28-135mm? or the 17-85mm? i really don't know and i need advise. please reply. i want to get the camera soon before i spend the $ on something else. thanks!!!

for 90 bucks you can get the 50mm f1.8 lens which I believe sells cheaper than the kit lens. You can still take great shots with the kit lenses though.

Welcome aboard.

How about the 16-35mm F2.8 L, or the 24-70 F2.8 L...you could say that either one could be the best first lens because you would never need to upgrade it.

I would also add the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS, which is the best 'normal range' lens for that camera...but if you ever upgrade to full frame, you couldn't use this one.

I'm being facetious because you haven't given us a budget to work with...the 'best' lens is probably going to be the most expensive :D

do i get the 28-135mm? or the 17-85mm?

If I want to choose between these 2, I think I will choose the 17-85mm. I believe it is a EF-S lens so you get a pretty good range. The other one, if I am not mistaken, it is a EF lens. so it works like a 44.8-216mm .. I think the view maybe too narrow if that is the only lens you are going to have for awhile.

The other one, if I am not mistaken, it is a EF lens. so it works like a 44.8-216mm
Yes, the 28-135mm is an EF lens. But it works like a 28-135mm lens. Just like the 17-85mm lens works like a 17-85mm lens. :roll:

Yes, the 28-135mm is an EF lens. But it works like a 28-135mm lens. Just like the 17-85mm lens works like a 17-85mm lens. :roll:

LOL, sorry could not let that one go without a comment... You made my homework procrastination worth it:lmao:

i'm actually looking to spend $1500 the most. i've looked online and the cheapest kit i saw was around $1300. but if i can get the body only for 1200 then i could spend the rest on the lens. thanks so much for the inputs. more please. i'm new to canon system and this would be my first dslr.

my favorite lens is the 50mm f/1.4 but the 50mmf/1.8 is a great lens and they are incredibly cheap. just dont drop it or its life is over ha ha ha!!!

If you can swing a 40D and the EF-S 17-85mm IS, then I would go for that. If that is too expensive, then I might go with the EF-S 18-55mm lens (or the newer IS version)...and maybe the 50mm F1.8.

Just make sure that you don't order from the 'cheapest' place you can find on-line. There are many, many unscrupulous people out there who take advantage of people who are searching the web for the lowest price.

I would check a place out on www.resellerratings.com first...but really, I would highly recommend using the two links at the top of the page... B&H and Adorama.

thanks big mike. i'm just scouting for prices online but i won't actually be buying it online. i just want to compare prices and give the store i'm going to buy it from and see if maybe they can match the price. is it alright to buy from best buy since they have a protection/replacement plan?

I don't see anything wrong with buying from Best Buy...it's the same camera from any place. Just don't get sucked into buying overpriced things like memory cards (they may be cheap at Best Buy, I don't know).

Also, I'm usually on the fence about extended warranties or protection plans. Might be a good idea for a good price, but for too much and I wouldn't bother.

$1500 budget will get you 40D + 28-135.

Or you can get 40D body, 50mm f/1.8 and save couple bucks.

Play with that set up then decide type of lens you need/want.

I find Best Buy price to be much higher then anyone else. I guess if you want to "try out" with no hassle return, they are a good option - even then I've never returned something as expensive as a DSLR so maybe they will treat that differently.

I prefer B&H because their price is competitive, they have not failed me once, AND no tax - I think you pay tax if you are in NY. Tax alone will save you over $100 :)

another question...i have a sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 with my canon eos A2 film camera...can i also use that with the canon 40d?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back