what setting do i need

coonsanders

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi
i just goi a new promaster 35 mm camera and my question is using 400 color film and
i just want to take a picture of someone what settings should i use?thanks.

coonsanders

Welcome to the world of cameras, shutters, apertures and ISOs!

My best advice for you is to get this book " Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's a book many here have (and still do) read and it will help you a lot in understanding how the 3 settings interact with each other to give you a proper exposure, as well as what a proper exposure is whilst also imparting some creative ideas as well. Its well worth getting and will go into more depth (whilst still being aimed at learners) than most internet posts will.

hi
i just goi a new promaster 35 mm camera and my question is using 400 color film and
i just want to take a picture of someone what settings should i use?thanks.

coonsanders

Well there isn't a single answer to your question. The settings you will use will depend on 3 factors: the amount of light available, the subject you want to shoot (for example, is it a fast moving subject or do you want to shoot a portrait of a person standing still?) and the depth of field (the area of your picture that will appear in focus in your shot) you are after. Changing ISO, shutter speed and/or aperture will change the exposure but also the way your picture will look. Follow Overread's advice to understand the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture and how each setting will affect your image. These are the basics of photography and you need to understand them (and it is not not that hard to understand) if you want to be in control.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back