What settings for ND filter?

robdavis305

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got my ND filter and was wanting to go to the Smoky Mtns and try it out on some waterfalls. I know the milky look is due to a slow shutter speed but with the filter will it still do it at normal settings. I always shoot in aperture priority mode. Any feedback will be appreciated.

No, at normal settings your photo will be very underexposed. Since you always shoot in aperture priority mode the camera will select the shutter speed for you.

You only got 1 ND filter? Which one did you get, 0.6, 1.8, 3.0.....?

If you have a set you can fine tune a setup by stacking 2 or more filters. A 1.8 and a 0.6 become a 2.4 stacked together. A 3 and a 1.8 become a 4.8, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Depends what you mean by "normal settings".
If you mean using the camera meter in manual mode or taking shots in aperture/shutter priority or full auto then yes the camera will still take normal images with the filter attached. The difference though is that you will be losing light from the ND filter (by however many stops the filter is). Thus you will end up with slower shutter speeds and a need for wider apertures and higher ISO to get shutter speeds back up to normal.

Unless you need the light blocking for something like a long, slow exposure to blur the water without it overexposing the camera then don't use the filter on the camera

Most reactions

Back