What should I charge for usage of a photo in a tv show for a major network?

It is a crap shoot these days, if you say to them you want between $300-500 and they come back and say that works for us, which is it? If you ask them what kind of budget for photos are they working with, they may come back and offer you between $500-1000, fact is, you just don't know. Negotiating is a skill, but all magazines/book publishers/TV/Film also have set fees, and no amount of negotiating is going to get you what you think the images are worth, they are only worth what people will pay for them. The only time I negotiate fees is when I am selling more than one photo, the rates change based on if they want 1-7 or 8-12 and then up from there, the more they want the lower the fee they pay.

Companies are cheap these days, they want more for less, and I have had some magazinzes come to me looking for images that I am offering at a great rate, and they still figure it is too high, I don't end up seling anything to them, there is a minimum that I won't go below.

It's a tough call.

In your opinion, which do you think is the better route? Which do you think will benefit me more? I know you can't predict that but you have a bit more experience with this than I do. You actually have legitimate things to say with things to back them up without just telling me I'm inexperienced. I really appreciate that!

Do you think if I ask too much they will just not use my photo? Or do you think there actually is room for negotiating? I don't want them to decide I'm too much trouble and not use my photo at all.

I always ask new clients or potential clients what kind of budget they are working with, for the most part they come in higher than I might have asked, in other cases, they are much lower, there is room to negotiate a higher fee, and yes they might just say no. The bottom line is that you should walk away from it happy with what you end up selling the photo for.

I've been dealing with one client for three months now and they are driving me nuts, all the fees hinge on how many photos they want to use, and the number keeps bouncing between to fee zones, if they decide to use 7 photos I make less than if they take 6, it's for a tv documentary and until the final cut is done, no fees have been argeed on. They may also just decide to drop the photos in the final cut. It's really the nature of the business.

I have not read the book,.... .
Then you know nothing about the quality of the information in the book, and you're making completely uninformed assumptions about what the book says.

Negotiating is a skill that really hasn't changed all that much in the last several hundred years, and current/past prices have little to do with the skill.

FWIW, I have read the book several times.

...Negotiating is a skill that really hasn't changed all that much in the last several hundred years, and current/past prices have little to do with the skill.

They may not have a great deal to do with the skill, but they have everything to do with the process. If you don't have at least a vague idea of what fair-market value is for your product, you have no idea where to price it, and very little leverage or credibility in the bargaining process.

Vis: You're trying to sell your beloved '73 Lada. To you it's the best car in the world and you love it; it's invaluable. So, out of emotion, you assign a price of $10,000 to it. I've done lots of market research and I want the car, but I know that there are 30 similar cars on Craig's List right now selling for between $800 - 1200. If I offer you $1100, because you have no realistic idea of market value, you're not only going to be insulted, you're going to have no idea of where you should go next.

I offered information on how the current market is based on the experience of myself and other professional photographers, and now my negotiating practices are being thown into question simply because I didn't read a book on "how to negotiate"

If KmH has had dealings with any TV networks or production companies in the past month then what he will know what the market prices are. I can only offer what small piece of information I have while dealing with three film companies, a TV network, the marketing company that deals with Pepsi, all in the last six weeks. If reading your book helps then great, I'm sure the information in it is correct, I just stated what year it was printed and some of the information may be out of date.

Why does this forum always degenerate into someone getting slagged. I'm not sure it's worth even offering any advice.

Why does this forum always degenerate into someone getting slagged. I'm not sure it's worth even offering any advice.

It is worth it. Many of us appreciate advice from real time photographers, especially the genre you shoot. Some people have a hard time admitting they're wrong. Please don't let those types stop you from posting. I find your perspective fascinating.

Jessie- I hope you'll stick around once this current issue is resolved. You are creating some nice images. If not, I'll see you over at the Mayhem.

We have used private messages on this now.

I understand that everyone has an opinion, and I respect that. What I do have an issue with, is people that really just don't know or understand arguing a point without knowing any of the realities of the business.

Because some people can just be rude. Photography is an art form, and as such, peoples emotions are put into play.

I really like the photo, and wish I had the ability you do for photography. Keep up the good work, and I hope you make bank on your photo.

Why don’t you asked them about their price? If you are not satisfied with it, try to negotiate. If they don't accept your terms, then you can decide on whether you let them use your photo or not. It's all about making a wise decision Jessie.:wink:

I just spotted this article and thought of this post...
The $18,000 Wedding Photograph | The Photographer's Business Coach

There will always be exceptions, it's really good that this particular photographer decided to keep and publish the image he sold, personally I don't like the big head in the middle of the frame and would have ticked that someone walked through the frame. I guess it just goes to show you that some photographers either don't know how to edit/crop as would have been done by most professionals regardless of the moment that is happening in the background.

The photographer that sold the image has some beautiful images on his site, much nicer than the one he sold. I would be interested in knowing how the photo was used.

Most reactions

Back