What should I get? DSLR for video, want to spend £500/$700

ren12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m looking at buying a DSLR camera primarily for video use to become a freelance videographer during my final year at university. I would like to keep the camera for a few years, so I understand that I will have to shell a fair bit out.

I’m new to DSLR cameras, but I have experience with a point and shoot camera, and a video camera from my university which I borrow out.

I’m looking to spend about £400-500/$580-$730 on the camera body itself (with a lens), with another £100/$150 or so going towards a tripod and microphone.

I don’t mind stretching my budget to get a better camera.

I will be filming news reports and PR material with the camera, and would like to shoot 1080p content, 4K would be a great plus. I would also like to film YouTube style vlogs in my spare time too. I may also be using the camera to film wrestling.

I need something with a great stabiliser for handheld/rig filming, and preferably a quiet auto focus feature for the YouTube 'selfie' style of filming.

From my research, I heard that Nikon is best for journalism, and Canon is best for sport.

I was also told that the Panasonic GH4 is a good option, but that’s just out of my budget, and the Canon 750 I have been told is really great too.

Which camera would you suggest would suit my needs the best?

If you want to know anything else, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Thank you so much for your time.

Given your budget a D5300 with kit lens is the hobon's choice. Not sure how you are going to get a microphone and tripod with £100. You don't have the budget for more. Alternatively, a FZ300 for video and you can get your 4K

I completely agree with grypho for what you are going to be doing a dedicated camcorder is probably your best route. This is out of your budget but will last you after university: Canon XA10 HD Professional Camcorder

Instead of looking at all the marketing fluff like 4k The features I would look for are xlr audio inputs, video zoom and ergonomics.

DSLR are nice but require to be built up wether an audio recorder or a shoulder rig/cage.

I am Nikon shooter all the way, but Canon seems to have the best video.

Sony, not quite there...good, but they over heat and have rolling shutter. Stick with Canon if you want DSLR Video!

Hello,

I’m looking at buying a DSLR camera primarily for video use ....

See, that's just wrong. DSLRs are still cameras that have some video capability. They are NOT video cameras, nor are their lenses appropriate for video shooting. AF is glacially slow and sometimes audible as clicking in the sound, and the rolling shutter needed to shoot video with them produces all kinds of very annoying distortions, such as scenes tilting as you pan. Also, it's all but impossible to get a smooth zoom shooting video with a DSLR lens.

If your primary purpose for a new camera is to shoot video, then get a video camera. Simple as that. They work differently, and they do the job a thousand percent better!

I have a Nikon D5300 and Yes, it does shoot very nice video under exactly the right conditions. It's not a video camera and is an absolute pain in the butt under most conditions where you would want to shoot video. If the camera is set on a tripod and the subject is in a fixed location you can do very good video, otherwise NO!. AND, on top of that, you can only shoot video with the back viewer which you just can't even begin to see outside in the sunlight.

Thank you very much for the advice everybody, and for pointing me in the right direction!

I'm not sure if this is still relevant, not how accurate it is nowadays,
But DSLRs have a video limit of around 20-30 minutes continuous.
Video cameras do not have that limit.
If you are not editing your video's that may come into play.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back