what software to use when going professional

drPHk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Besides Photoshop, Adobe & Apple products, what are some of the must haves for photographers going professional and opening a studio?

Photoshop CS3 (soon CS4) is the main tool that a professional should use. I know a few pros that use LightRoom v.2.0, but in terms of capabilities, CS3 is so far above the competition in terms of capabilities that it basically has no true competition.

If you are a pro, there is no reason to use anything else other than CS3.

Depends on what you're going to do... consider camera-control software, anti-piracy software, organizing software...

There are other software companies beside Adobe?

Aside from Photoshop, Bridge and lightroom it would be more just plug-ins and such for Photoshop (can't say what ones because I don't use any) and maybe photomatix if you want a good HDR software.

Last edited:
I actually like sticking with my adobe products, you have programs like PS, Lightroom, and so on that have been getting better and better each year, along with minimal bugs. If it aint broken, dont fix it.

Photoshop CS3 (soon CS4) is the main tool that a professional should use. I know a few pros that use LightRoom v.2.0, but in terms of capabilities, CS3 is so far above the competition in terms of capabilities that it basically has no true competition.

If you are a pro, there is no reason to use anything else other than CS3.

Lightroom and CS3 have completely different purposes, and they offer the most when used together.

many people are using photoshop. i myself is using this to. and very satisfied.

The photojournalism community seems to swear by Photo Bits' Photo Mechanic as an initial editing/captioning/keywording/etc tool, used in conjunction with Photoshop.

Nik sofware plug-ins including Viveza and Nik software filters. Noiseware Professional and Portraiture from Imagenomic.

skieur

Besides Photoshop, Adobe & Apple products, what are some of the must haves for photographers going professional and opening a studio?

Not to be an Axx but if you need to ask then you probably shouldn't.

If you are bound and determined to be a "Pro" then find a lab that will do the work for you.

Lightroom and CS3 have completely different purposes, and they offer the most when used together.

I own both... but know professional wedding photographers that use LR2 and get by without CS3/4 and still earn some pretty good coin (6 digits a year turnover).

It all depends on their style and needs. Certainly CS3/4 do tons more, but for the 75% of the jobs, LR2 seems to do the job for them.

Edit: The people that prefer to use LR2 over CS3 are mostly CS3 users, and say it's a question of speed, meaning that pro wedding photographers can get through more pictures per hour using LR2 than CS3... but again, I am sure they are not doing anything above the normal minor adjustments. In that case, I see LR2 being better, but certainly far from complete.

Last edited:
I like to use Gimp. It's pretty much a knockoff Photoshop but I've always had good results with it wether I'm just touching up a photo or doing a complete overlay.

There is no MUST HAVE software for a professional. Unless you're going to have your customers watch you work (don't!). Or unless you're going to shoot tethered.

Use whatever program gets the effect that you desire. If that means at the moment editing the pixels in ms-paint, then keep on doing it. No one should see you using it so no one will judge you on your choice of software. Thinking "I'm professional now so I must use xxx software" is a recipient for disaster.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back