What technique do you use to archive?

Henri9009

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi to all!

I'm doing lots of photos and I really need to build an archiving technique. I'm not talking about backups, but about how to reference my shootings to be able to find anything I did some years later.

Software? Captions? I'm interested in all your experiences related to this subject.

Thanks! :D

i use this method.

Photography drive > On Location > Date of shoot - Persons name(s) > images
Photography drive > In Studio > Date of shoot - persons name(s) >images

Photo File (on external drive)
-----Title of Photo Shoot 1
----------JPEGs
----------RAWs
-----------------Edited JPEGs
-----Title of Photo Shoot 2
----------JPEGs
----------RAWs
-----Title of Photo Shoot 3
----------JPEGs
----------RAWs

Lightroom and proper keywording is all I really need. I store my images in folders by date, but it doesn't really matter when you filter by keywords and use collections in LR.

Thanks!

For the first two ones, you search with what?

Individual subfolders for every shoot by date inside main subject folder . Photos tagged by Date / Subject / Location/ Person(s) / Event

just filing without keywording with a retrieval system means that one's memory is the catalog.

LR or equivalent system with a well constructed keyword hierarchy is a must for good retrieval.

I have more than 18,000 images cataloged, after extensive culling, and there is no way I could manage them in any other way.

Thanks for the book suggestion, I'll check that.

I think I found my answer : Photo Mechanic. I already use it, but I discovered some tools I must use. Ingest files with it, applying basic captions, and after that, search is so easy, particularly on Mac, there's a tool (Search) that uses an OS function, so fast and easy!

A friend of mine has DAM podcast. Oddly enough called Another DAM Podcast and also oddly enough www.anotherdamblog.com

I think his blog is more for DAM professionals.

I took a lightroom class and Ill tell you, its awesome for organizing photos.
I use a hierarchy for example like:

My Photos
.Sports
..Surfing
...Huntington Beach
..Racing
...Nascar
...Motorcross
.Landscape
..Waterfalls
..Flowers
..Mountains
.People
..Famly
..Friends
.Events
..Weddings
...Jennifer's Wedding 2008

Something along those lines, you can also add keywords to photos, create "collections" of photos, search by meta-data and other information to find the photos you want.

did you take a lightroom class online or with a local provider? I think I urgently need to update my filing habit and to get some professional advice might just be the right beginning...

did you take a lightroom class online or with a local provider? I think I urgently need to update my filing habit and to get some professional advice might just be the right beginning...

Was at local community college. The class was called "Digital Capture Workflow".

I use photobucket.com. I create albums and label the year and the genre as the title. Its pretty good.

I use photobucket.com. I create albums and label the year and the genre as the title. Its pretty good.

But then you uploaded all your photos to photobucket?

Could anyone recommend an online resource for learning how to use lightroom?

Most reactions

Back