What to buy, Can't Decide!

chaantel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm currently shooting with a nikon D60 with a AF-S DX 18-55 f/3.5-5.6.
I want to get another lens i'm currently looking at the Nikkor 55-200 F4-5.6 G IF-ED VR

I would like to hear from anyone who has one and if they think it would be a good purchase, and if not what else would you recommend
http://www.nikon.ca/en/Product.aspx?m=14325

What can i say. It rocks. Its nice an smooth. Mine came with a round lens hood (not sure if that's standard) so its nice for outdoor photograpy. Not sure what else i can say. Go for it. Im just a noob so maybe someone with more experience can elaborate more on the details.

The only bad I can say is that it's cheaply made. But still a great lens.

Since your mentioned the 55-200, I take your looking for a telephoto. How much are you looking to spend? The 70-200 is one of the best telephotos you can get, however the price is steep($1500-$1700). Theres also the 70-300vr, its a good lens for the money. Check it out. Nikon 70-300mm VR

There are third party lenses that i can recommend but, they wont reach as far. I would also advise you to think about purchasing lenses used. Prices today are inflated used and new, if i can save a buck buy getting it used through a reputable dealer i do...

Last edited:
Despite what some people may say, the 55-200 would make an EXCELLENT companion to the camera lens you currently have.

You might reach a point later on where it no longer satisfies you and you want more. But until that point, the 55-200 is way too inexpensive (in comparison) to not own.

And if anything, you can sell it used for about half price or better. Lenses hold their value MUCH better than camera bodies.

My budget is about 500$ for now, just for something to get me started.
I'm looking at buying a used lens for B&H photo maybe something nicer considering the cost reduction.
Has anyone bought from B&H and did you like it? I also live in canada so would it be worth the extra costs for shipping if i bought it from them

B&H is probably the most reputable distributor on the market.

Anyway, I think we could help you a little more if you described what you plan on doing with this lens. What do you like to do? landscape, portrait, macro, etc?

I shoot a lot of mountain landscape and waterfalls, i have a fascination with shooting water.
Also some wildlife

Look at a Tamron and consider the 70-200 f/2.8.

the slow aperture even on the 70-300VR is rather limiting at times. Go to full zoom, and it can be an issue at twilight

If you are going to be shooting a lot of landscape you will probably want something with a wider focal range. Anything from 18mm up to 50 would probably be what you need in my honest opinion.

However, wildlife would require a powerful zoom, not necessarily a fast one if you plan on taking your pictures during daytime.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back