What to charge for Portraits?

doziergraphic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So now that I've had some people in the studio, they of course want to purchase prints. I'm thinking $25 per 8x10. What are others charging for straight portrait shots?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! Is that all???

But seriously, I am interested in this question as well and look forward to any answers...

Look at others in your area specializing in the same type of photography and what they charge to get an idea. Whats reasonable in KC is not in Miami or New York. How much does it cost you to get it printed?

Derrel - one client at that rate and I'm retired! Nothing but landscapes after that! lol

So now that I've had some people in the studio, they of course want to purchase prints. I'm thinking $25 per 8x10. What are others charging for straight portrait shots?

From me, it would probably be in the area of $100 - 125.

I really like your website. Couldn't find any portraits tho.

From me, it would probably be in the area of $100 - 125.

I really like your website. Couldn't find any portraits tho.

Thanks - it's not something I do a lot of, nor especially like to do. There will be a new gallery going up early in the New Year with my "people" shoes.

You'll need pricing for much more than just 8x10's.

What is your sitting fee?

Well... do you mean with the session (sitting) fee?

I have two different print prices: Custom Portraits and Senior Portraits.

Since the "digital revolution," I sell mostly from my Senior price list. These prints include general retouching, so the first print sells for more than additional prints of the same image... sort of a built-in file prep charge. I do not mount or spray these prints and they are delivered in folders.

I get $72 for an 8x10. This is in addition to the session fee or course.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

Scanning local websites typically results in the deals like $19.99 for a package of 8x10, couple 5x7s, wallets - not the higher end rates.

Those are the cookie-cutter studios of course. Most pros don't want to post their print prices, understandable.

Most pros don't want to post their print prices, understandable.

I don't post mine. The buying public usually doesn't understand that they're not buying 8x10s, and it's actually the image ON the 8x10 that they pay for. But since that's the only thing one might have to make comparisons, I might be considered as expensive or cheap compared to other "sources of photography" when learning the price of my 8x10s and that of the others.

As for posting prices here, there's a lot of posturing that goes on. I suppose I've been at it too long for that.

I do recommend advising a shopper of your starting price so your time and his is not wasted if you're out of his budget.

-Pete

Derrel, you are so funny! Maybe you should quit being a photographer and start being a comedian! Again, smart ass comment from Derrel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back