What to do when you are out of your element?

hmmmm If I were to relocate in Florida, I would try underwater photography. Sounds like the place to be for that type of adventure :)

I would also probably try to shoot some non threatening storms(kidding aside) that hit those parts of the country. I would love to do that personally.

Florida has great college and professional sports leagues that would be great for the portfolio I think.

..go with the flow...maybe see what else naturally Florida has to offer towards your photography work.

Actually my wife is a dive instructor in Key Largo so I have many opportunities for underwater. Right now we just have a simple point and shoot. I can't afford the 6,000 for an underwater setup. At least not yet. For now my main focus will have to be land. It is so nice to see so many helpful people. Thank you!

When I first got into photography, I went on a trip to the smoky mountains and got to test out my Nikon film camera there. Beautiful place and I had tons of great pictures. One of the things I really wanted to get into was nature and landscapes. Sure don't see anything like it here in Michigan and I feel like I'm missing out on alot, so I feel your pain. But I agree with some of the others on this one, get out and experiment.

... adapt

To me, that would spark an interest like nothing else - a whole new world to explore so to speak!

one word: experiment.

Try things that are out of your element. It will make you be a better rounded photographer and you will see the world outside of just landscapes.

Exactly. :mrgreen:

Now, Florida is quite boring to me, overall, because I've lived here my whole life and none of it is new. I've been to every point of the state and back more than a few times. But we do have some little gems down here. Try Everglades National Park, not too far from Homestead. Also, Shark Valley, Big Cypress National Preserve, Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve, Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary...

I've been to TN and I know what you mean about the landscapes (I'm a biker and I try to go to US 129 - Deals Gap - whenever I have the means). Florida is quite flat, and a little monotonous. I have found that to make a successful landscape image here, you should experiment with foreground interest - a nice little tree, a pretty patch of flora, a watering hole - that will lead the eye into the rest of the picture. Otherwise, all you get a three-layered cutaway of the view: sky, horizon line, reeds or water/swamp. I'm crazy to try some aerial shots, but don't know any pilots that can fly me around.

I'll add another, related, word to Atlas' commentary, if I may: Explore.

If you want a day tour of some of what South Florida has to offer, send me a message before a weekend and I'll show you around.

In taking some advice my wife and I are going to hit the roads less traveled this Saturday just to see what I can find. Next Saturday we will be going to Vizcaya: Miami-Dade County - Vizcaya

Thanks for all the encouragement! If any needs some company on a shoot here in South Florida just give me a shout. If I get anything of interest I will post what I find.

yes Vizcaya is a great place to experiment :D dont forget to bring your tripod :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back