What to expect from the Canon EOS 60D?

I don't see the joystick to pick focus point in this leaked photo. Or is it all covered?

It looks like the control dial has two parts, an inner and outer. Maybe that replaces the little joystick? I rather preferred that little nub for quick AF point selection... But I guess we'll know for sure when official announcements have been made.

I was excited but seems like its going to be another toy camera. No metal body is a bad sign. Looks like ill be upgrading to D7 or 5D II after all

I was excited but seems like its going to be another toy camera. No metal body is a bad sign. Looks like ill be upgrading to D7 or 5D II after all
Sadly, I think only the very top of the line has a metal body these days...

I don't see the joystick to pick focus point in this leaked photo. Or is it all covered?

It looks like the control dial has two parts, an inner and outer. Maybe that replaces the little joystick? I rather preferred that little nub for quick AF point selection... But I guess we'll know for sure when official announcements have been made.

That "little nub" is Canon's attempt to imitate Nikon's huge, positive, foolproof 4-way controller...it doesn't work nearly as well however because it's a pencil eraser-sized control Canon figured would be great to use with one's thumb! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...but seriously, Canon needs to improve "that little nub" to make the control actually usable when one is wearing gloves, or one's hands are cold,and also to just make it of a size that is appropriate for such a critical control. I use "that little nub" myself as the way I assign focus points on my two main Canons, and find it pretty lame compared to the original control that the "other company" invented.

it would be really great if Canon could figure out a way to engineer a user-control interface that works better than, "that little nub",especially for such a critical feature as assigning the active AF point.

That "little nub" is Canon's attempt to imitate Nikon's huge, positive, foolproof 4-way controller...it doesn't work nearly as well however because it's a pencil eraser-sized control Canon figured would be great to use with one's thumb! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...but seriously, Canon needs to improve "that little nub" to make the control actually usable when one is wearing gloves, or one's hands are cold,and also to just make it of a size that is appropriate for such a critical control. I use "that little nub" myself as the way I assign focus points on my two main Canons, and find it pretty lame compared to the original control that the "other company" invented.

it would be really great if Canon could figure out a way to engineer a user-control interface that works better than, "that little nub",especially for such a critical feature as assigning the active AF point.

Preach on, I agree totally! I like the Nikon controller WAY better myself.

Uh... it acts like a joystick and selecting autofocus points is really quick and easy... I even just tested it with a pair of work gloves I had laying around with no drop in speed or accuracy. Maybe it's because I grew up with videogames, but I find the joystick-like control very easy and intuitive to use. Plus, if you don't want to use the joystick, you could just as easily use the top or rear control dial to change AF points. But you knew this already, right? Being a Canon expert and all? What's cool about the 7D is that the two dials control horizontal and verticle selection of points, which is nice compared to rotating around the selection points, and would likely make it into this new body too.

I understand that you hate everything about Canon's designs though, so I should have expected such a comment. There's just no pleasing you!

Last edited:
Man, does Derrel's love and devotion to nikon EVER waiver? :lmao:.

I am late to the party, but I think that the 60D ( or whatever they decide to call it ) will have most if not all of the following..

-refined autofocus, most likely more points and zones like the 7d, but maybe not as many.

- the color metering that the 7D introduced

- Wireless speedlite control

- plastic body

- I think it will have the flip out screen

I have my doubts that there will be a 60D though. It may be a revamped 7D to replace it (8D or 9D? ) You figure, there has always been a cheap and expensive version of each camera. Look at the T1i and the 50D, same inner workings, aside from a few things like burst speed and bodies. Well now you have the T2i and the 7D that are both 18 megapixel and were both announced not too far apart. Since the camera companies exploit the megapixel game, it sounds like a case of spreading it too thin if they have a 3rd camera also at the 18 megapixal resolution. It wouldn't make sense. So I vote for a replacement to the 7D with maybe an articulating screen and a next generation processor/sensor.

Uh... it acts like a joystick and selecting autofocus points is really quick and easy... I even just tested it with a pair of work gloves I had laying around with no drop in speed or accuracy. Maybe it's because I grew up with videogames, but I find the joystick-like control very easy and intuitive to use. Plus, if you don't want to use the joystick, you could just as easily use the top or rear control dial to change AF points. But you knew this already, right? Being a Canon expert and all? What's cool about the 7D is that the two dials control horizontal and verticle selection of points, which is nice compared to rotating around the selection points, and would likely make it into this new body too.

I understand that you hate everything about Canon's designs though, so I should have expected such a comment. There's just no pleasing you!

Yes, I am familiar with using the giant wheel on the back as an AF selection method. The Canon approach,using that tiny nub, is an effort to imitate a better system from another manufacturer. Just like Canon adopted the AF ON button that Nikon had generations before...again, imitation is a sincere form of flattery. But no, I do not hate everything about Canon's designs...you,being a one-brand Canon fanboy can't seem to get it through your little mind that the ergonomics advantages Nikons has had for decades are slowly being adopted by Canon whenever Canon can figure out a way around Nikon's intellectual property. Why do I own three Canon bodies, a bunch of Canon lenses, and why do I shoot all my serious work on a Canon 5D??? What is that "dooshing sound" I hear coming from your end out there in California?

Being a life-long videogamer, your fanboy status is pretty understandable: the fanboy culture is heavily rooted in video games. I grew up playing with cameras, not videogames, so I have a vastly different, broader experience set than a guy in his 20's or early 30's. Here's a story you ought to read before "bragging" about being a video gamer. It's from this very week, and is entitled The Psychology of Fanboyism - Plugged In - Yahoo! Games.
The Psychology of Fanboyism - Plugged In - Yahoo! Games

Buy yeah Matty, if that "little nub" as you call it was such a great idea, why is Canon ditching it?? I mean, Canon is the greatest camera system ever invented in the history of videogames....er...photocopiers...errr printers...err FAX machines....err CAMERAS, right? Canon must be the be-all-end-all of all the camera systems you have used, which is....one system... Right, praise-on Canon-man!!! But, while you're at it, please tell us WHY Canon would be eliminating, "that little nub" as you referred to it. Mmmkay? YOU are the one who brought up the subject. If the "little nub" as you called it is going away, please explain WHY they would eliminate such a great control interface? Ooops, your fanboy logic is showing now...

Yes, I am familiar with using the giant wheel on the back as an AF selection method. The Canon approach,using that tiny nub, is an effort to imitate a better system from another manufacturer. Just like Canon adopted the AF ON button that Nikon had generations before...again, imitation is a sincere form of flattery. But no, I do not hate everything about Canon's designs...you,being a one-brand Canon fanboy can't seem to get it through your little mind that the ergonomics advantages Nikons has had for decades are slowly being adopted by Canon whenever Canon can figure out a way around Nikon's intellectual property. Why do I own three Canon bodies, a bunch of Canon lenses, and why do I shoot all my serious work on a Canon 5D??? What is that "dooshing sound" I hear coming from your end out there in California?

Being a life-long videogamer, your fanboy status is pretty understandable: the fanboy culture is heavily rooted in video games. I grew up playing with cameras, not videogames, so I have a vastly different, broader experience set than a guy in his 20's or early 30's. Here's a story you ought to read before "bragging" about being a video gamer. It's from this very week, and is entitled The Psychology of Fanboyism - Plugged In - Yahoo! Games.
The Psychology of Fanboyism - Plugged In - Yahoo! Games

Buy yeah Matty, if that "little nub" as you call it was such a great idea, why is Canon ditching it?? I mean, Canon is the greatest camera system ever invented in the history of videogames....er...photocopiers...errr printers...err FAX machines....err CAMERAS, right? Canon must be the be-all-end-all of all the camera systems you have used, which is....one system... Right, praise-on Canon-man!!! But, while you're at it, please tell us WHY Canon would be eliminating, "that little nub" as you referred to it. Mmmkay? YOU are the one who brought up the subject. If the "little nub" as you called it is going away, please explain WHY they would eliminate such a great control interface? Ooops, your fanboy logic is showing now...

Thank you Derrel, that was mighty entertaining to read. Refreshing to read on an online forum.

Different people like different things. Some thing I dislike about Canon and there are some I think they have done better than others with. You or anyone else may agree with my choices, (which I wont go into) or disagree, but that's fine. This is the old Nintendo vs Sega, Ford Vs Chevy, Star Wars vs Star Trek. I just love doing photography for photography not a brand name. When I see someones work I am looking at the pic not what system they used. Once we get past all that Photography becomes fun, which is what it and even videogames are suppose to be. How about we fight over Tele vs wide angle that might be a better discussion.

How about we stay on the topic of the 60d and not hijack the OPs thread. I was just in best buy trying the 7D. Sales guy said he heard the 60D or whatever it will be called will be a FF sensor.

Alright Derrel, I'll go ahead and dispel this "fanboyism" with a perfect analogy from the videogame world. Careful, the following gets pretty nerdy!

Disregarding the Wii, as it's more a "family entertainment device" compared to a real "gaming console," it leaves us with Sony's PS3 and Microsoft's XBOX 360. Now, both consoles (PS3/360) offer very similar performance but approach delivery in separate ways. Both offer high def visuals, both have online abilities, and both have full GUIs when not in a game to navigate various non-game features available. Each has their own exclusive features or game titles, but there is massive overlap between most third party, multi-platform titles. Choices generally boil down to which controller or which online system you would want to use. I generally like the layout and feel of the 360 controller a lot better, and their online service is arguably better. The Dual Shock 3 is a re-re-reiteration of a controller designed 15 years ago for the original Playstation, and their lackluster online service (for games) leaves much to be desired, but it has cool social features with its Home software. I actually own all three current gen consoles (360, PS3, Wii), though my 360 undoubtebly gets the most play time.

So in a nutshell, both big consoles are about the same other than a few design choice differences and handful of exclusive game titles. Now, I think the relevance to Canon/Nikon is pretty clear in this analogy (except that I personally don't own one). If it's not painfully apparent, perhaps a revisit to the high school SAT is in order!

I have nothing against Nikon and actually think quite highly of their high end cameras (I would readily buy a D700 or D3s over a 5DII and 1DIV if I wasn't already invested in Canon). So... I'm not sure who the fanboy is here... :confused: It sure doesn't sound like me!

You tout that you have three Canon bodies; yes, a garbage old Rebel XT, an antiquated 20D, and a 5D. And I'm guessing the reason you use the 5D is because it's the only full frame digital you own. Judging from your stance on the importance of full frame sensors, the 5D is the only option that you own. That D2x sounds really nice for a crop (I know how much you love crops!) but I'm curious why you never just bought a D700 and called it a day?

Different people like different things. Some thing I dislike about Canon and there are some I think they have done better than others with. You or anyone else may agree with my choices, (which I wont go into) or disagree, but that's fine. This is the old Nintendo vs Sega, Ford Vs Chevy, Star Wars vs Star Trek. I just love doing photography for photography not a brand name. When I see someones work I am looking at the pic not what system they used. Once we get past all that Photography becomes fun, which is what it and even videogames are suppose to be.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I'm right with ya. Don't quite know why Derrel has such an axe to grind with me... Just cuz I pointed out an unnecessary Canon/Nikon flame-bait comment for being just that? Who knows!

How about we stay on the topic of the 60d and not hijack the OPs thread. I was just in best buy trying the 7D. Sales guy said he heard the 60D or whatever it will be called will be a FF sensor.

There have been no concrete details about the "60D" yet. There will be official announcements "soon" but according to canonrumors.com, there may be a separate camera they're referring to. CR reported that Canon is going to reveal three big new DSLRs very soon. So people are assuming that's referring to the 1Ds mkIV, 60D, and this new low MP full frame camera. But who knows, maybe its a 5D mkIII? It could be anything. We won't know for sure until Canon tells us. From my experience, most Best Buy employees don't know much more than what's on their own website (unless of course they have access to incoming shipments of new pruducts), but since nothing has been officially anounced, they're no different than reading rumor blogs.

Yeah, I know to take what the best buy employee says with a grain of salt, but maybe he does know something about shipments coming in, who knows. I agree its all speculation at this point. But if there is a chance of a more reasonably priced full frame canon coming out, I think I am going to hold out on buying a 7D atleast until after September when the announcement is supposed to come out.

Most reactions

Back