What to expect from the Canon EOS 60D?

@Derrel
no more X0D?? Geez, I guess I'll be stuck with my 400D for life, like "4life"!
Or.... just sell all my gear and get a Nikon.
But really, 60D is going to put my photography-motivation-ride in a swamp!
But it might look like that. A X0D hasn't appeared in a while. But what is Canon going to say to people like me? They can't afford cutting away their midrange costumers. Then the high end models will reach Leica prices and Canon is going to be nor a sandwich, nor a beer! I guess they're up to something, like a maybe a new model line? X0Ds ?
I really hope they don't let me down.

And about the Canon/Nikon competition, I think Nikon is in the lead today. At least in the model range where I set my eyes on.

As for the cut-off, maybe they're thinking that people like me will be happy with the XX0Ds and the pro's should stay with the XD's?
Like so many people out of the Mid-class need that Corolla and Civic, but how many people are expert/amateur-hobbyists? Maybe they want to return that Canon-ball-size hole between the pro and low-level-amateur market? Pros will pay more money, like they don't care because they're like.... pros....and amateurs will pay more money cause...... whatever.
But I don't imagine how this will get through with let alone Sony and 4/3s but with Nikon on the side.

Canon could be poised on the brink of a new era...or they could roll out yet-another-same-old-same-old with a 60D, having gone D30-D60-10D-20D-30D-40D-50D...but I really,really do not think Canon will churn out an EIGHTH iteration of the same old thing...that just doesn't seem like what they will do at this point in time...to me at least.
I don't think that is a strong argument. There are eight generations of Honda Civic with a 9th on the way; ten generations of Toyota Corolla. Cars exist both above (Accord/Camry) and below (Fit/Yaris) those, and all increment with advancing technology (while remaining in their vehicle class). If an item in a line of products continues to sell well, there's no reason to cut it off. In a new product cuts into the sales of other products, things will then be shifted around. But since the xxD line has always been popular, they will keep making them until people stop buying them. That's business at its simplest. If they release this 60D and it tanks, maybe they would shake things up and move things around, but only time (and sales) will tell.

The 50D was a sales FLOP for Canon, Matt. The 20D was a mega-hit, and the 40D was a mega-hit for Canon....the 30D was warmed-over and no real advancements were made...the 40D was a slight advance from the 30D,and the 40D sold well, but the 50D was a sales dog...

People who buy that class of camera want innovation, not mere iteration...

the 7D has killed the market for the 50D...the 7D has made the 50D obsolete and stale by comparison... horses and horse saddles went through thousands of generations...then the horseless carriage made them irrelevant...muzzle-loading weapons were pretty common from 1429 until 1865...then self-contained cartridges were introduced...the trick is to know when to abandon the old,shopworn technologies and products and shift the consumers onto a NEW line, so that they will "want" the newer product...the problem with the XXD series has been that it is now played out...the 50D proved that to Canon...it did not sell well,especially against the Nikon D300, which trounced it pretty handily.

50D versus D300, and 7D versus D300s---many people expect that Canon will re-align its product matrix to reflect the new realities in the three closely-spaced market segments of enthusiast, pro-sumer, and semi-pro bodies. The "pro-sumer" segment you show in your diagram is actually kind of a misnomer; a pro-sumer is a consumer who upgrades, immediately, when a new model hits the street. The "pro-sumer" is a techno-geek, and a follower...the 7D is not a pro-sumer model, but a semi-pro body...the pro-sumer model is the 50D, and the pro-sumers, the automatic-line-up-to-buy crowd is where the 10d-20D-30D-40D-50D crowd has been spending its dinero...except these "pro-sumers" or professional consumers rejected the 50D...it did not have the new bells and whistles it needed to create another round of automatic updating. See, that's the problem Canon is facing: worldwide economies everywhere are hurting, and the pro-sumers have stopped automatically upgrading over the last couple of years...

As I see it, your chart Matt, is not quite th actual market; the "enthusiast" camera is the hobbyist's camerfa, and that guy/gal is often satisfied for many years with a good camera, like a 40D or a Nikon D90. The pro-sumer is a constant upgrader--or at least he USED to be! The pro-sumer is the techno-geek,always demanding the best technology, and the 7D has tat, the 50D does not. The semi-pro shooter needs pro-like features, but is not interested in updating all the time. The pro need the flagship cameras.

The way I see it, the XXD series has run its course, and like NIkon, Canon desperately needs to migrate better light metering, better flash control, and better autofocus downward, into the XXD territory, or be seen as a non-innovative company that just re-hashes the same old $h!+, generation after generation...and that's why Canon lost is lead as top-selling d-slr camera in Japan to NIKON last year...Canon's been riding the same horse too long...

Last edited:
The 60D will be a full frame point and shoot

Will it have smile detection and snap when it sees a smile?
Will it have ugly detection and refuse to snap if someone is ugly?

It will have bull**** detection quite a bit detected in here, can't see the point talking about a camera the does not exist

The 60D will be a full frame point and shoot

It will have bull**** detection quite a bit detected in here, can't see the point talking about a camera the does not exist

People have been talking about God, Gods, Goddesses, and religion for centuries gary...as well as aliens, space ships, ghosts, vampires, werewolves, and TV characters that "do not exist"...or have you missed out on that??:lol:

People have been talking about God, Gods, Goddesses, and religion for centuries gary...as well as aliens, space ships, ghosts, vampires, werewolves, and TV characters that "do not exist"...or have you missed out on that??:lol:

And i don't believe in him, done nothing for me, only going to church on Saturday because i have to go to a wedding

I think it will be nice if the new 60D has a feature not just facial detection, but phone number detection. Once you find a person, take a photo of that person and in the ExIF file, you will see his/her phone number! :grumpy:

I think it will be nice if the new 60D has a feature not just facial detection, but phone number detection. Once you find a person, take a photo of that person and in the ExIF file, you will see his/her phone number! :grumpy:

and a pick up line generator! :mrgreen:

The 50D was a sales FLOP for Canon, Matt. The 20D was a mega-hit, and the 40D was a mega-hit for Canon....the 30D was warmed-over and no real advancements were made...the 40D was a slight advance from the 30D,and the 40D sold well, but the 50D was a sales dog...
That may be the case, but having spent a good little bit searching the interwebs, I have not come up with any hard sales numbers for any of this. Do you have a link or source of actual sales numbers? Or is this purely anecdotal?

the 7D has killed the market for the 50D...the 7D has made the 50D obsolete and stale by comparison...
The 7D is also the entire price of a D3000 with kit lens more expensive than the 50D, and was released over a year later as a camera in a higher class. In every respects it should make the 50D look stale. But I personally don't believe it "killed" the market for the 50D. The mere existance of a 60D seems to agree with that.

the trick is to know when to abandon the old,shopworn technologies and products and shift the consumers onto a NEW line, so that they will "want" the newer product...the problem with the XXD series has been that it is now played out...
So what evidence about the new 60D supports that there's no shift, change, or update to the line? Since there's no concrete specs about it yet, what are you basing this on?

the 50D proved that to Canon...it did not sell well,especially against the Nikon D300, which trounced it pretty handily.
Probably because it was never meant to directly compete with the D300. It was released a year after the D300, so its not like R&D or time was the reason. They could have competed with it (like they are now with the 7D) but chose rather to sandwich it above the D90 and below the D300.

many people expect that Canon will re-align its product matrix to reflect the new realities in the three closely-spaced market segments of enthusiast, pro-sumer, and semi-pro bodies. The "pro-sumer" segment you show in your diagram is actually kind of a misnomer; a pro-sumer is a consumer who upgrades, immediately, when a new model hits the street. The "pro-sumer" is a techno-geek, and a follower...the 7D is not a pro-sumer model, but a semi-pro body...the pro-sumer model is the 50D, and the pro-sumers, the automatic-line-up-to-buy crowd is where the 10d-20D-30D-40D-50D crowd has been spending its dinero...except these "pro-sumers" or professional consumers rejected the 50D...it did not have the new bells and whistles it needed to create another round of automatic updating. See, that's the problem Canon is facing: worldwide economies everywhere are hurting, and the pro-sumers have stopped automatically upgrading over the last couple of years...
Here's where you're just arguing semantics (ones that aren't even rigidly defined to begin with). Perhaps you see it differently, but I consider "pro-sumer" and "semi-pro" one and the same. The name "semi-pro" imples that it is not wholely pro, but contains elements or features shared with pro level products. "Pro-sumer" implies it is a "semi-pro" or "near-pro" product targeted to (and bought by) consumers or non-professionals.

As I see it, your chart Matt, is not quite th actual market; the "enthusiast" camera is the hobbyist's camerfa, and that guy/gal is often satisfied for many years with a good camera, like a 40D or a Nikon D90. The pro-sumer is a constant upgrader--or at least he USED to be! The pro-sumer is the techno-geek,always demanding the best technology, and the 7D has tat, the 50D does not. The semi-pro shooter needs pro-like features, but is not interested in updating all the time. The pro need the flagship cameras.
I'm curious why you seem to agree with my chart (in case you missed it, the 50D is under "enthusiast" and the 7D is under "pro-sumer"). What "pro-sumer" are you refering to? And how could they "used to be" when the 7D is Canon's first low-price-point pro-sumer body? Unless somehow the "enthusiast" and "prosumer" were actually the same market (50D) which branched off when a real pro-sumer camera came along (7D).
I'd like to hear your rationale behind this; especially considering your personal stance on buying camera bodies (a 2004 D2x and 2005 5D, right?).

The way I see it, the XXD series has run its course, and like NIkon, Canon desperately needs to migrate better light metering, better flash control, and better autofocus downward, into the XXD territory, or be seen as a non-innovative company that just re-hashes the same old $h!+, generation after generation.
You seem to propose Canon leaves a massive gap in their lineup; to go straight from Rebel to 7D. Or you seem to suggest that Canon should be putting high end features into cheap bodies; somehow without inflating costs. And all of this is based on absolutely no confirmed information about the upcoming camera in said line.

I'm having a hard time grasping at what kind of point you are trying to make besides "hey Canon, be like Nikon!" which is both tiring and old.

I actually don't think that semi-pro and pro photographers are interested in CA correction in camera, I mean that this is not and important factor. Having features that are really useful for getting the best shot at the scene, these can be welcomed. I actually love editing photos in Lightroom, so even if the 60D will have such feature, this is not the reason I will buy it.

70D? - LOL, I think that we won't see a 70D, or maybe we will, I don't know. I just hope that the 60D will be worth the wait. When do you think Canon will announce their new cameras, Photokina?

I actually don't think that semi-pro and pro photographers are interested in CA correction in camera, I mean that this is not and important factor. Having features that are really useful for getting the best shot at the scene, these can be welcomed. I actually love editing photos in Lightroom, so even if the 60D will have such feature, this is not the reason I will buy it.

70D? - LOL, I think that we won't see a 70D, or maybe we will, I don't know. I just hope that the 60D will be worth the wait. When do you think Canon will announce their new cameras, Photokina?

He you took my name....lol How rude!! :lol::hug::

Sorry for taking your name :sexywink:. My first name is Idan and my middle name is Mishel, so I needed to decide which one to use, so I throw a coin and Mishel it was (blame the coin). You can call me either way. Any news about the 60D yet? - I have heard that the Nikon D95 is coming, seems that Nikon rumors are ahead of Canon's :lol:

Any news about the 60D yet?
CanonRumors is fairly sure it will feature a flip down LCD screen and will probably begin availability in September or October. Nothing official yet though.

Most reactions

Back