What to use to clean camra lens.

Brian L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
brianlinephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I need to know what to use to clean my lens on my camera. I touched it by mistake when taking some pics and there is a nice little finger print on there now. Where do I purchase the cleaner. Thanks.

There are soft micro cloths which you can purchase for about $10 to wipe the glass on the lens. If there's more than just a fingerprint, like ketchup, for example, your local camera shop should also sell cleaning fluids for it. If there's dust you want to blow off, I suggest a canned air blower (make sure it's oil free!).

You can purchase any of these off websites too, should your local camera shop not carry any. Check out B&H Photo.

I recommend that you buy a UV filtre for your lense. It "protects" it from scratches and stuff, aside from it's supposed purpose. Always better to have to buy a new filtre than a lens :)

A "rocket"-style squeezy blower will get rid of most dust. As nikonkev says, a clean microfiber optical cloth is probably the best thing to use for getting rid of fingerprints. I doubt you'll be needing any cleaning liquids in this case.

Ok very good. Is there any certain brand that you guys like of micro cloths vs. just picking up a micro cloth off brand or something. I know that sounds weird but dont want to just pic a micro cloth and have it scratch the lens or something. Thanks.

Lenses are very hard to scratch. Don't use sandpaper.

Microcloth or a lens wipe or a clean cotton cloth or a lint free kitchen wipe, heck a clean shirt will do it.

Yeah, just to chime in last - it's your lens, stop freaking out. Just use your t-shirt or one of those free shmattes you get with new sunglasses. Believe me, combat photographers et al do not carry little cleaning solutions.

Now your sensor is a whole different matter, that you'd want to clean with a blower, followed by a solution on a swab.

Go into your local opticians and get a micro-fibre cloth from there. Generally speaking they are washable, which means they last for years. I have them scattered round at work, home, back in the UK, stuffed into my travel bag or whatever. The one sat next to me at the moment is a Pentax one, think all the others are branded for Boots the Chemist. To use, just breath on the lens and use the cloth to clean away the nasty marks.

Lenses are very hard to scratch. Don't use sandpaper.

Microcloth or a lens wipe or a clean cotton cloth or a lint free kitchen wipe, heck a clean shirt will do it.
Exactly...just whatever you do don't use a paper product (napkin, paper towel, kleenex, etc.) They tend to be more abrasive and repeated use of paper products could scratch the lens.

You could also just buy a new lens.

A. Glass is hard to scratch but the coating isn't.
B. Use a lens cap.
C. Perhaps once a year I need to clean my lenses. I blow and brush loose grit off and then use a liquid and microfiber cloth.
D. In the field I sometimes us a lens pen. For example, I got two greasy fingerprints on a lens in the middle of shooting. The lens pen has a brush on one end, use it, and then the felt eraser gizmo on the other.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back