What tripod would suit me?

Rhinni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello people,

I am looking for a tripod but I have no clue what I have to take into consideration.

I have a canon 600d and my heaviest lens is the 70-200 zoom lens (bit more than 1.3kg/52 oz)

I want to use the tripod for the following things: Nature shots (landscapes), portraits and preferably macro aswell (so would be the nicest if you can also have the tripod quite low to the ground). Preferably a tripod with a head that is flexible/can turn&tilt. And I will bring it on holiday.

I read that you don't want a too light tripod for stability reasons.

The budget is around 100-200 euros. possibly up to around 250.

What should I look for or do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Rhinni

There are tons of good tripods out there for the price range you mentioned. But, I wouldn't suggest going much or any below that amount. Having said that, I would suggest sticking with a known brand name. I would also suggest a ball head, as they tend to be the most universal, if you are sure what suites you.
If you want to purchase the sturdiest tripod for your money, stay away from carbon fiber tripods because they are much more exspensive, BUT much lighter. If weight is not important to you, say, because you hike a lot with your camera and tripod, IMO, they are hardly worth the extra money if budget is an issue.

The 055XPROB Pro is a very popular tripod. I have used it myself and would recommened it for you budget range. Keep in mind, however, that is only the tripod and you would still need to purchase the head. The Manfrotto 498RC2 is a popular ball head in your price range.

I have no knowledge of Velbron heads. But the one I mentioned above, have a pano base, so even though it is a ball head, once you have you frame set, you can still pivot it for pano shots. It doesnt look like the one you liked to has that ability.

I think most newer photographers have better luck with the ball heads in the beginning than they do panheads. I have a Monfrotto pan head and find it very cumbersome for landscape photography. I use it mostly in my "studio" (aka basement)

I read some ball vs pan topics and decided that ball is indeed nicer in the long run. I decided to buy the ball head you suggested and the tripod listed earlier.

Thanks so much for your help!

I read some ball vs pan topics and decided that ball is indeed nicer in the long run. I decided to buy the ball head you suggested and the tripod listed earlier.

Thanks so much for your help!

I am sure you will like it!

Good read on buying a tripod: Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan
You don't have to spend the money Thom does unless you are using the kind of gear he does. Principal is still the same though. Don't buy a tripod for today, rather examine what your anticipated needs will be in the future and buy for those needs. If you spend wisely now, which may mean a bit more, you can end up with a set up that will literally last you a lifetime.

Good read on buying a tripod: Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan
You don't have to spend the money Thom does unless you are using the kind of gear he does. Principal is still the same though. Don't buy a tripod for today, rather examine what your anticipated needs will be in the future and buy for those needs. If you spend wisely now, which may mean a bit more, you can end up with a set up that will literally last you a lifetime.

That, I agree 100% with. Buy a Really Right Stuff tripod and head and you will never need another for the rest of your life. However, you will spend $1200 up front. That is the next thing on my wish list.

Thirty years ago I spend $250 for a good set of Manfrotto (Bogen back then) Studio Legs. Thirty years later I still have and use those legs and I still use them in the studio. Changed heads once from the original when I went to the arca-swiss system. Paint is a bit worn in places, but that tripod is as stable as the day I bought it. Changed out the rubber feet once as the old ones got dried out and cracked and I have added a dolly too it.

Those legs have cost me $8.35 a year for rock solid support. Not to bad a price when you average the cost over the lifetime of use to this point. Average cost is going down for every year I use them.

Why an RRS tripod? Gitzo is top of the line at least in my opinion and not any more expensive that the RRS for the features you get.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back