What type of a photographer are you?

How many different areas would you like to be in photography field?

• Total voters

MohaimenK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When do you realize what type of a photographer you really want to be? Do you feel that being *all around* photographer is the way to go? Or do you limit yourself to certain areas? As a noob, I took different direction. Landscape, people, portraits, etc. But I'm beginning to realize that's not the way to go. At first it was great, for practicing photography altogether. But now I'm thinking "stick to a few things". So I'll stay as a wedding, engagement and portrait (modeling or not) photographer. Those 3 are what I want to focus mostly on. They tie into one another very well. As hobby, I wouldn't mind doing landscape/club photography here and there if I have nothing else to do.

EDIT:
What type of photographer would you advertise yourself as? All around photographer or just advertise as certain types for pay but as a hobby, do everything else.

Last edited:
I'm not really interested in weddings, sports, photojournalism etc. I'd just like to make art. Create photos that capture people's imagination.

before i got my camera i wanted to mainly shoot cars. now that i have my camera i want to shoot everything. if you really want to improve esp if you plan on making this a career then learning one aspect at at time would be best. nobody wants average wedding photos. so learn weddings if that is what you want to do. for me its a hobby and likely always will be, so im just going to shoot anything that intrests me and learn as i go. right now its fun shooting things a year or two i never would have thought about and they have all been learning experiences.

then again i dont consider myself a photographer. i still think im in the point and shoot side of things. but im learning.

I am interested in different aspects, especially when viewing other's work. But, I have really shot in just a couple of disciplines. Landscape - I really love the hiking portion as well. Urban, meaning architecture and urban fragments, including patterns. I have poked at candids of people, but not much, although I do find the candid process fascinating. My avatar is from a small concrete sculpture of a building several stories above grade.

I have noticed that wildlife shooting takes lots of patience. When I am shooting, I like lots of activity, moving around and finding that 'just right' shot. I am the active part of activity.

I like to capture on film what my eye is interested in.... I don't care what it is.

I like to capture on film what my eye is interested in.... I don't care what it is.
Agreed. I take photos of anything and everything. And I wouldn't have it any other way :) Sure there are subjects that I prefer more than others, I just love taking photos in general.

I think I enjoy the portraits/weddings/photojournalism aspects more.. I like to capture emotion :)

Tricky question. I'll shoot different subjects for pay, but it's not something I advertise. These request are usually done by friends or word of mouth and sometimes I'm willing to barter goods/services for my services.

Like the time I shot the menu shot for a friend's restaurant. It was a wall with chalkboard paint around the door leading to the kitchen. It was a very basic shoot and just required two strobes to evenly light the menu/wall so that it could be printed to a flyer. There were no special skills out of the ordinary needed, so I setup, took three shots, and had a finished product. I got several free meals out of the deal.

But as far as what I advertise for, portraits and cars, does that count as 2, or as 4-5? By protraits, I'll do general portraits, but I like to shoot musicians and local musical artist to try and stay within a theme. I also do live bands.

I don't have any want or need to do Weddings ... AT ALL. I just shoot whatever I'm in the mood for that day. I've done portraits, which surprisingly, I liked a lot more than I had originally thought, and landscapes. As long as its just me and my camera, I'm in a good place :)

Well I'm certainly a commercial photographer. That being said, I host a weekly group in the Toronto area that goes out and shoots whatever every Thursday. And I just simply love photography. While my income is solely based off of my commercial clients, at heart I am every kind of photographer wrapped together :)

I try to do a bit of everything that presents itself. If I feel I can make a shot on any given subject on any given day, that's the kind of photographer I was at that moment. I want to be well rounded rather than limited to one aspect.

I'll shoot anything.

It's a good thing to learn the disciplines of as many "types" of photography as you can. Aspects of one very often can be applied to others. I believe in being well rounded.

I guess I meant, what type of photographer would you advertise yourself as? All around photographer or just advertise as certain types for pay but as a hobby, do everything else.

I guess I meant, what type of photographer would you advertise yourself as? All around photographer or just advertise as certain types for pay but as a hobby, do everything else.

Considering this is the beginners forum, I don't think many of us are too concerned about advertising ourselves... and if you are concerned about advertising yourself you are either in the wrong forum, or shouldn't be concerned about advertising yourself.

Most reactions

Back