what would you carry your gear in to Thailand?

Devananda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am going on a 2 moth trek buy myself to Thailand in fall. can't want! :)
so I thought I was post to get feed back on what gear to bring and what to pack it in.
I have Nikon D80 80-200 F2.8 & 18-70 mm lens and a 180 macro
a kata backpack

now I am thinking of picking up the 18-200 vr as my all around travel lens
and a lowpro slingshot 200 AW to carry it in. & just take that and leave the rest AT Home.

my last trip to Mexico this winter the 18-70 was my most used lens in fact the other two rarely made it on the cmarea...

so if you been on a trekking trip with your gear or just have a thought would love the feedback
cheers

Well, first off, I do not like the slingshot... it places all the weight on one shoulder and distributes it unevenly on my body. Yes it is convenient to not need to take it off to get at the camera, but there are times I want the camera, and it will be hanging on my neck. The times it is in my backpack, I do not need it. If I do, I take off the backpack.

The difference for me in that area alone are being able to walk for 3-4 hours or 14 hours in comfort. Thats the first thing.

Second, when I do a lot of walking, I decide on the quality or importance of the shot. If they are general shots, the 18-200 is the lens that I use and the one that is on my camera about 50-75% of the time. The 6 other lenses that I own are there for very specific reasons and all are capable of superior quality shots AND are faster.

In daylight, the 18-200 is awesome and extremely versatile... but its not a fast lens nor one that is very good in the dark. It does vignette a little but that is very easy to address in post processing.

I think the 18-200 would be my #1 lens, and then I would bring the 18-50 Sigma HSM F/2.8 macro that I own as well as the 30mm F/1.4 becuase it is so fast and the 70-200 F/2.8 Nikkor for those shots where I want ultimate quality at longer focal lengths. If I felt that I would be taking a lot of macro shots, I would add the Sigma 105mm F/2.8 becuase it is tack sharp and has 1:1 macro capabilities.

As you can see, I would find it hard to choose less than 4 lenses... lol

You decide what you want to gain and what you want to sacrifice. In the end, no one can answer that BUT you.

thanks for the feedback Jerry!
yeah I know now one will be able to choose for me but what the heck I thought I would post anyway...

my main Q? is to be happy with the 18-70 & 80-200 and change lanes or pick up the 18-200 and take only one lens. less wight etc.

it might just be me but every time I have one lens on I find the shoot that I need the other lens..maybe I am being lazy?

I don't think 2 lenses is too much, but then again, I am the guy that just said I could not travel with anything less than 4 lenses... lol.

Your pics would turn out better with the 2 lenses than the 18-200. Thats a fact... unless you tell me that all shots will be taken in bright outdoor light or very well lit indoor locations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back