What would you get?

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Imagine for a moment that you're RICH.
Ridiculously crazy stinking rich.
You would like to get into photography so you went out and bought a couple Nikon D5 cameras and a 1Dx Mk2 (just to hedge your bets because you don't know which is better Nikon or Canon).
You also got yourself 11-24 f/4, 24-70/2.8 II and 70-200/2.8 IS L II for the Canon and 14-24 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8 VR, and 70-200 f/2.8 VR2 and will likely get 200-500 too.

You don't want flashes because you were told that these cameras are so good in low light.
You don't want the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART because you don't trust 3rd party brands

Remember, you're totally new. You like doing travel photos, pictures of friends and family and that sort of thing. The kind of snapshorty thing a new photographer does.

What would you buy next? and why would you buy it? and NO, definitely not a Hasselblad.

If I liked shooting friends, I would get either a flash anyways, or a lovely reflector/diffuser in one. Because I'm rich, no need to buy a silly reflector stand that will probably fall over in the wind, I would just purchase an assistant to hold the reflector for me. Realizing, it's not always about how well your camera preforms in low light, its often about controlling the lighting pattern falling onto your subject.

Scratch that....

I'd buy some photography classes, or hire a mentor who could lead me to the realization that its not the gear, its the vision behind that.

Leica M9 or d750 and 50mm prime.

Travel means street and street means a slightly smaller camera and not a zoom that weighs more than the camera.

If you want to stick to those bodies... A giant bag of primes. 14 28 50 85 105 at least

I'd buy some photography classes, or hire a mentor who could lead me to the realization that its not the gear, its the vision behind that.
I found them a teacher (who prompted told me that I should have sold them a limited edition Leica)

Leica M9 or d750 and 50mm prime.

Travel means street and street means a slightly smaller camera and not a zoom that weighs more than the camera.

If you want to stick to those bodies... A giant bag of primes. 14 28 50 85 105 at least
I'm thinking the 50mm f/1.2L and the 58mm f/1.4 Noct respectively...and maybe a 5DsR and D810 for lightness.

As for the Leica, maybe an MP and custom fitted with red leather. The legendary Horst Wenzel lives not too far away. He can take apart a Leica and do a custom paint job if that is what you like.

Last edited:
As a matter of interest, is this hypothetical or is this a genuine gear seeking thread

Wouldn't want the D5 or 1DX II

I would get the Nikon D750 as for my type and style of shooting its currently the best camera in the market.
When the 6D or 5D IV will come out this might change but for now the D750 for my style.

Well being ridiculously crazy stinking rich I'd hire a professional photographer to travel with me so I could be in all the family shots and then borrow his gear when I feel like taking pictures.

Wouldn't want the D5 or 1DX II

I would get the Nikon D750 as for my type and style of shooting its currently the best camera in the market.
When the 6D or 5D IV will come out this might change but for now the D750 for my style.
The biggest risk with the 6D and D750 is that a friend might come along and laugh at your feeble camera whilst waving their own monster specced camera. Trust me, it is a real worry for my clientele.

Well being ridiculously crazy stinking rich I'd hire a professional photographer to travel with me so I could be in all the family shots and then borrow his gear when I feel like taking pictures.
It would make more sense to train the household butler to be a better photographer.

It would make more sense to train the household butler to be a better photographer.

You know I was thinking along those lines but I figured with all my cash I'd have both butler and a photographer along with the rest of my staff. I think I'd hire Trever1t . He seems to have some nice connections on the Left Coast

Not sure I could advise as this person has done things I wouldn't have done.
Buying two different camera systems? I'd have done some reading; done some research and bought into a single brand and be done with it. Perhaps re-evaluating in a few years time (since I'd have the money to) but I'd keep it simple.

If all they want is happy snaps then - honestly - they've got the gear they need. If their attitude on flash is as you say they've got the gear now they need the training. Tell them your rate per hour and offer them lessons or teach them for free or point them toward some good local training (in person training). Encourage them, but in the end let them do what they want.

If image is the most important thing and they've bought into two systems then, I kind of get a feeling that they are not "serious". Sure spending serious money, but the approach and attitude suggest its a passing fancy and they might not really want to "learn" so much as just experience and own shiny nice stuff. And I don't blame them for that; they've got the money let them spend it. But I wouldn't lose sleep if they don't really want lessons and just want more ideas to spend (cash burning a hole in their pocket).

Lessons - books - maybe a few photo-trips etc... Those kinds of things are what I'd encourage them toward rather than gear at this stage.

I'm all for using good gear and people learning on the best they can afford (better to have gear to grow into than gear to grow out of); but one has to approach it with some degree of moderation otherwise its easy to get overwhelmed.

c5016be28d5b7958083568591f54ce2b.jpg

Proof that I'm not trolling.

Most reactions

Back