What would you get?

I mean if we're talking filthy rich then i'd buy the Phase One XF 100mp. A completely ludicrous camera, but the photos that come from it are insane

A more tame choice? Maybe a Phase One digital back under 10K that could hook up to my Mamiya to make it digital

One can dream

I mean if we're talking filthy rich then i'd buy the Phase One XF 100mp. A completely ludicrous camera, but the photos that come from it are insane

A more tame choice? Maybe a Phase One digital back under 10K that could hook up to my Mamiya to make it digital

One can dream

Wow the camera alone costs more than all my dream lenses + dream cameras put together.

One can dream

Wow the camera alone costs more than all my dream lenses + dream cameras put together.

Yeah it's kind of sickening that a camera can cost that much. Then again this is the same company that makes cameras for NASA, so they can dictate the price anyway they please. I'm sure nobody really buys those anyway. They're all leased out or rented

I have no idea but I would bounce it off Gary A before I pulled the trigger.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

One can dream
Reminds me, I was at an Anime Convention last year (yes I'm geeky like that) and there was this guy with a Hassleblad H4D waving it around like he knew what he was doing.

No, we don't carry the lovely medium format Hassleblad and Mamiya. I can however hook him up with a Leica SL.

Gee, I'm not rich, but I do shoot a 1Dx (the new MkII isn't in yet), and have the trifecta of Canon zoom glass, 16-35, 24-70, & 70-200 as well as some real nice long glass. It was just a matter of priorities. I'm not a gamer, don't need $6.00 coffee every morning, drive a nice car for 10 years (they stay nice if you care for them) don't feel the need to go out most meals to eat nor go out most nights with my friends.

I do cook us home cooked meals, have friends over or go to their house to get together, brew my own coffee and we save our money. Do we live like poppers? Nope, but we get the biggest bang for our buck. Just got back from a week in San Diego with the wife. She had a conference, her trip and hotel was paid for so it only cost us my flight, three extra nights at a good rate and a rental car just for a couple of days. Had a real nice time.

She has a conference in San Antonio in September. We will take the money her work would spend on her flight for gas, drive our own car there, stay an extra 3 nights, have our own car to drive as much as we want with gas paid for. More bang for the buck.

Now if we were rich, we would probably do the same thing. We only have our select passions and they are few. For both of us it is family and friends first. For me the other two are photography and wood working. For the wife it is her volunteer work with Scouts.

What we would get is set up three very large college trust funds for our three granddaughters so they can pursue their educational choices to make a better lives for themselves and trust funds for all of our kids, spouses and grandkids.

I agree with Overread. If you want a camera for pure street cred, get one of the limited edition Leica's and some high end Leica glass. A Noctilux 50mm costs almost as much as Canon's most exotic glass in their current line-up.

If he wants to go professional, the latest pro bodies from Nikon or Canon, the trinity of zooms and all the high end primes and a 200-400 F4--and maybe an exotic 500mm to go with it. You're looking at $40-50k per brand, easily.

I would have probably got what I have today if I were filthy rich: X-T1 with 5-6 lenses and a Ricoh GR. Because you do not need to be "ridiculously crazy filthy rich" to buy a camera that you want. It is not sports cars or hi-fi where you would need tons of money to fulfil your dream.

On a second thought I would probably have bought a photographer. A smashing sexy blonde pro with a sharp eye, X-T1, perfect ass and Ricoh GR. Some modest $100,000 a month would buy it methinks. Problem is with all my billions I would have hardly had any time for this hobby.

One can dream
Reminds me, I was at an Anime Convention last year (yes I'm geeky like that) and there was this guy with a Hassleblad H4D waving it around like he knew what he was doing.

No, we don't carry the lovely medium format Hassleblad and Mamiya. I can however hook him up with a Leica SL.

Best Mamiya IMO is the Mamiya Rz67 pro ii. You can get it dirt cheap on Ebay for like 300 bucks now. Of course they have those over priced digitals, but the RZ never disapointed for me

I agree with Overread. If you want a camera for pure street cred, get one of the limited edition Leica's and some high end Leica glass. A Noctilux 50mm costs almost as much as Canon's most exotic glass in their current line-up.

If he wants to go professional, the latest pro bodies from Nikon or Canon, the trinity of zooms and all the high end primes and a 200-400 F4--and maybe an exotic 500mm to go with it. You're looking at $40-50k per brand, easily.
He doesn't want to go pro. He just wants to impress his friends.
Leica then

He doesn't want to go pro. He just wants to impress his friends.
Leica then

The part that confuses me is how he will impress his friends.

An expensive car? Anyone can drive it.
An expensive house? Anyone can live in it.
Expensive camera gear? Embarrassing if you can't use it.

Why the 200-500? Get telephoto primes. Or the 200-400 at a minimum.

Because the 200-500 f/4 is a special order item and he's not seen one yet.

Wait, Nikon? I'm aware of the 200-500 f/5.6 (which is what I was talking about), and the 200-400 f/4, but didn't know there was a 200-500 f/4. Is there? Or is there just some number confusion in here somewhere?

Wait, Nikon? I'm aware of the 200-500 f/5.6 (which is what I was talking about), and the 200-400 f/4, but didn't know there was a 200-500 f/4. Is there? Or is there just some number confusion in here somewhere?
Typo. 200-400 f/4
Nikon and canon both have it. The canon has a built in teleconverter.
The Canon is horrendously expensive even by these standards.

Most reactions

Back