What would you have done differently ?

weags77

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is the original. Not my best exposure ever but it was freezing cold near the sea. This was after some editing in LR, brushed some HDR on lighthouse in Perfect Effects, and converted in Perfect BW. Was looking to see if anyone has any thoughts of the processing and final result. Or different style or crop they would have done. Maybe not the best example to work with but would be interesting to see what others come up with.

$11777163854_be88f04e44_o.jpg

$11776500323_ff674f69e6_b.jpg

$11776677084_a429e9292f_b.jpg

Attachments

• $11776513985_e3cc473913_k.jpg
    $11776513985_e3cc473913_k.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 122
I believe you already know that the original is underexposed. As for your edit, I prefer the b/w version, but I don't care for the composition. The lighthouse is just a little too centered for my taste.

I like #2 in a general sense, but I think it has too much of a grad ND look to it...too much lightening at the bottom of the structure, just by a little bit. I would like to see the lower parts of the building darkened. I DO LIIKE the dim, low-light feel of it though. Low-light shots like this are tough to appreciate here on TPF with this doggone light background washing out all of the mood.

Here you go sir..
$untitled--4.jpg

I believe you already know that the original is underexposed. As for your edit, I prefer the b/w version, but I don't care for the composition. The lighthouse is just a little too centered for my taste.

I tend to agree with you about the composition. Seems a bit tight too.

I like #2 in a general sense, but I think it has too much of a grad ND look to it...too much lightening at the bottom of the structure, just by a little bit. I would like to see the lower parts of the building darkened. I DO LIIKE the dim, low-light feel of it though. Low-light shots like this are tough to appreciate here on TPF with this doggone light background washing out all of the mood.

Yep I used a grad filter in Lightroom. Haven't really used it much before but I get what you're saying as I'm starting to see that "look" the more I use it. Cant afford any real filters so I'm stuck with software at the moment. I think it was that look that drove me to convert it to B&W. I also attempted to lighten the top of the building in order to balance it out with the bottom. I should have done the reverse. Thanks for the reply I am going to do another edit on it from scratch now and see what I come up with.

I thought the halo edit was some kind of smart-alecky edit done in some type of attempt at humor. But maybe not? I dunno...

Ok here is the "better exposed" originals . I tried to apply a bit of everyones suggestions. I can see why I chose to edit the underexposed one as the darker tone fit the is a bit more appealing to me then this one but to each their own. Thanks again

$11792089186_f35afe3346_b.jpg

$11791570473_2589c60d0c_b.jpg

I'd do something like this :)

Attachments

• $light.jpg
    $light.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 104
Thanks Binga. Not sure how I feel about the cloud reflections though. Doesn't give me that "ocean feel" to it that I look for in lighthouse photos.

I'd like to learn that technique though for some of my other shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back