What would you recommend?

pjvo19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I am completely new to photography, I have absolutely no experience at all, snapping a picture with my phone camera is about the extent of it. However I have always been fascinated by photography.

I was wondering what kind of camera you would recommend to someone who:

Has very little experience.

Has a budget of $500.

And will mostly be taking pictures of pets and outdoor scenery/wildlife.

I have been looking at the Canon Powershot SX50hs. I like its zoom capabilities without the need different lenses. However I don't know how a close up picture, such as a picture of my pet snake, would turn out.

Thank you for any/all input!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi, look for the Nikon D3100 or the D3200.
They are very good entry level cameras that fits your budget.

Hi everyone,

I am completely new to photography, I have absolutely no experience at all, snapping a picture with my phone camera is about the extent of it. However I have always been fascinated by photography.

I was wondering what kind of camera you would recommend to someone who:

Has very little experience.

Has a budget of $500.

And will mostly be taking pictures of pets and outdoor scenery/wildlife.

I have been looking at the Canon Powershot SX50hs. I like its zoom capabilities without the need different lenses. However I don't know how a close up picture, such as a picture of my pet snake, would turn out.

Thank you for any/all input!

I've owned an SX50 myself, and while it's not a bad little camera the image quality just can't match a DSLR. The other drawback is that it really doesn't do well in low light situations, such as shooting indoors, without a flash. Outdoors in good daylight conditions it performs ok and the zoom is nice but I just wasn't happy with the image quality myself. I'd concur with ruifo, your best bet would probably be an D3100 or possibly a D3200.

After thinking about your post, I have a question. Are you wanting to go with something like that Powershot SX50hs or is that just what you first looked at? How much time are you wanting to put into learning how to use the camera you select? Is there a reason you want to avoid the dslr's?

I'm sure that there are a lot more questions that people will ask you to help you decide what you "need".

After thinking about your post, I have a question. Are you wanting to go with something like that Powershot SX50hs or is that just what you first looked at? How much time are you wanting to put into learning how to use the camera you select? Is there a reason you want to avoid the dslr's?

I'm sure that there are a lot more questions that people will ask you to help you decide what you "need".

The Powershot was just the first camera I looked at. I plan on a lot of time into learning how to use whatever camera I end up purchasing, I believe I will end up being rather obsessive, as I do with most things. No there is no particular reason, nor was I trying to avoid DSLR's.

Thanks!

Sounds good to me. Take your time and do your research. Put them all in your hand if you can. Here's a great piece of advice that a sparky man told me Sunday about deciding the right camera for you.

Go to the websites of Canon and Nikon and print off the spec sheet for the high end cameras for both. Then go line by line and research and understand what each thing is and does and decide if you need that feature or not after you know what it is. Then determine the features that you need and the budget that you have for the camera and then match up the most features for the price you can afford. (Thanks Sparky).

An entry-level Canon d-slr would be fine for you. Look for a good deal in the post-Christmas sales environment. It doesn't need to be a Canon. A low-end Nikon d-slr would be fine too. Something with the 18-55 kit zoom to start.

The Powershot was just the first camera I looked at. I plan on a lot of time into learning how to use whatever camera I end up purchasing, I believe I will end up being rather obsessive, as I do with most things. No there is no particular reason, nor was I trying to avoid DSLR's.

Thanks!

Well if you think you are going to be an avid shutterbug soon then you might want to look at the D5100 as well, I have a D5100 myself and I love it. The D5100 won't have the guide mode that the D3100 or D3200 offer, but it will be something you can use right out of the box (it has plenty of automated modes that make it as easy as your average point and shoot to use) but it will also be something that will have some more advanced features you can grow into over time.

Hello to the forum.

For someone who starts his first steps in this hobby my recommendation is to get either Nikon D5100 or Nikon D3200.
Both cameras come with the basic kit lens of 18-55mm and both are about 500$ new.

I am still seeing new canon T3i for sale for 450.00.
Great camera.

I have never used a Nikon how is there customer service compared to canon.
I had a problem with a new laptop loading up EOS utility into windows 8.1, called canon up, didn't have to wait maybe a minute before a real person that spoke English helped me out with in just a few seconds.

Grab the most complicated camera you can possibly get your hands on. OK, good. Now put it down and listen to these guys. :lol:

Most reactions

Back