What's a good camera for backpacking?

George Wyeth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a backpacker and like to take a lot of photos on the trail. I've been using my iPhone, in a waterproof holder that I wear around my neck, but getting it out of and back into the holder is process, so I miss the shot I want, or don't take it because I don't want to hold things up. (I can shoot with the camera in the holder, but picture quality is noticeably diminished.)

Are there good quality cameras that can be used in outdoors conditions for an extended time, without the need for special protection? I have a waterproof camera for kayaking, but not the picture quality is only so-so.

Any new iPhone is water proof (IP67/8 rating) so to me a waterproof case could be over kill IMO. With that said I would get a Black Rapid WandeR Bundle Smartphone Safety Tether System and carry it on the neck strap before buying a new camera.

Always remember that the only good camera is the one you have with you when opportunity provides the inspiration...

It sounds like backpacking is your primary goal and photos are secondary, so you likely want to keep the camera light.

Consider that any camera also requires spare batteries and a charger, which add more weight still to your pack.

I’d recommend something like an Olympus Tough TG-5. I have the older TG-3 that I use for kayaking and it’s pretyy great, so I’m sure the newer version is awesome.

When I backpack, it’s merely a means to reach photo spots so I tend to carry more and heavier camera gear, so I don’t have an experience based reccomendation for you.

I'll second the Olympus TG-5. Go snorkeling with it, rain, snow, drop it, no problem. It is tough and waterproof and take very good photos. Also does video pretty good.

I’ll third the Olympus Tough. Have had a couple previous iterations of the camera and highly recommend it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back