What's Ailing Nikon: Thom Hogan Checks In

People complain too much. We are living at a time where we truly get to benefit from some amazing exponential technological advancements from year to year, ones that people would only dream of a decade or two ago. People should enjoy and appreciate modern technology rather than try to play the "I know it all guy" and pretend like they have the big business figured out and know what's better for them. I'm tired of people complaining all the time and crying about what Nikon is doing and what Canon isn't doing or vice versa. People are spoiled with too many options these days to appreciate what we really have.

What exactly does this guy do other than express his opinions on how camera companies run their business? One thing that has bother me for years is that all the big tech companies are constantly releasing a new version of whatever it is, software is the worst because your old software won't work on the new OS, therefore an upgrade/new version of the programs becomes necessary. Technology is changing at an exponential rate, within a decade or so we may well reach the point where the new phone/camera/television/pad/reader or whatever you just can't live without will be obsolete before it's been released.

When it comes to cameras I wonder how many people really buy a new camera so often that (lets say Nikon) has a real need to upgrade their product line every other year or so? Thom reminds me of these kids who just can't live without the latest greatest whatsit and just can't wait for the next one to be released. One last thought... This guy talks about how great this is and how that simply sucks and they or them should be doing things the way I would like. IMO (being ignorant of this skill set or profession) he's like any other critic, they judge the work and efforts of others and more often than not, they lack the skills necessary to make the product or run the company that makes said product.

Be well,

Anthony

I agree.

I also think that you could rewrite the article and replace every "nikon" with "canon" and it would be pretty much the same article.

Interesting article though, thanks for sharing.

People complain too much. We are living at a time where we truly get to benefit from some amazing exponential technological advancements from year to year, ones that people would only dream of a decade or two ago. People should enjoy and appreciate modern technology rather than try to play the "I know it all guy" and pretend like they have the big business figured out and know what's better for them. I'm tired of people complaining all the time and crying about what Nikon is doing and what Canon isn't doing or vice versa. People are spoiled with too many options these days to appreciate what we really have.

I don't get the impression that he's complaining. I think he's questioning Nikon's decisions as they face a shrinking market for their products.
There aren't enough customers any longer to support all the companies making cameras today.

Good read but must admit to wondering what people expect from various companies such as Nikon, cannon etc... Napalm got it in a nut shell, were all too spoiled for choice and don't know it. For example a year ago I started researching for my xmas present from the wife, she knew I wanted a dslr as I had used my bridge / super zoom for over 6 years and I wanted to take it to the next step. As she was and still is utterly clueless when it comes to things that require electricity she gave me 3 months to do my research in (a task I was very eager about, if only she knew the madness the gift would produce lol). I was lucky enough at the time to have friends who had a beginner Cannon and Sony DSLR's 600D (T3i) and a A35. At first I was pretty hooked on the idea of Cannon. . . until I got to play with it one camping trip, now before I carry on I mean utterly no disrespect to Cannon or Sony. But the Cannon's body just felt like plastic they had left over from a printer mold, the Sony I wasn't able to properly put my finger on it, but to me just felt like they had tried to hard with the design and layout I do believe the word clunky came out of my mouth at the time. So after I finished with those two I headed to the nearest mall to have a try hands on with a Nikon I believe it was a d5100, I also had looks at Cannon and Sony's offers as well (would have been rude not too). In the end tho I fell for the Nikon brand, there is no logic in my choice other than personal preference. Both my Cannon and Sony counter parts cant stand Nikon so can cause some amusing conversations from time to time.
The one thing that I did take from 3 months worth of experimentation was the utter vast amount of choice that all the major camera manufacturers have to offer. . . what more do people want, right now the pixel count on your average DSLR is more than enough for people requirements, cameras are able to handle high iso without any real issues, and don't get me started on lenses. Your average lens unless your testing it in utter extreme lab conditions is going to work perfectly, what few flaws that do occur need a few moments in an editing suit to solve.
Yes pro people are going to always want the very very best but the sign of a good photographer is being able to make fantastic photos regardless of the equipment they are using. I doubt there is a DSLR and lens out there that has been made in the last 10 years that a proper pro would not be able to use well and create something fantastic. The reality of running mega corporations such as Nikon, Cannon and Sony is not for the faint hearted. If an idea isn't going to be profitable they will not waste their time on it, it's all about money and that is the sad truth of life. The world needs to stop complaining about what the world lacks and concentrate on perfecting what they have.

Rant over lol :D

Cliff Notes version:

Nikon is running itself into the ground and they don't know it. When they go belly-up, I'll end up losing money. ME! ME! ME!

Reader's Digest Condensed version:

I will lose money.

My response:

Last edited by a moderator:
well, im SURE if Nikon made Thom their CEO the whole company would be making record profits in 2 years.

well, im SURE if Nikon made Thom their CEO the whole company would be making record profits in 2 years.

Just like if the patriots made me the QB I would
have brought them a Super Bowl win every year.

Arm chair CEO.

He's been commenting on Nikon cameras as well as the camera business in general (and Nikon specifically) for years. Why is this suddenly news to you people.
His blog is no better or worse than any of the other crap out there meant to derive income from click-through purchasing and book/video sales.

It's an interesting read over my morning coffee. Certainly nothing to get all lathered up about.
I wish he would get off his ass and do more reviews like he used to, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

I don't get the impression that he's complaining. I think he's questioning Nikon's decisions as they face a shrinking market for their products.
There aren't enough customers any longer to support all the companies making cameras today.

Nikon knows exactly what they're doing, as does Canon. They are multi billion dollar companies with a track record of monumental success. Working for them are experts in all fields. To say that someone from the outside knows whats better for Nikon is silly. Their immediate actions may not be apparent but they are doing what they need to do to be among the leaders in world for imaging products.

Nikon knows exactly what they're doing, as does Canon. They are multi billion dollar companies with a track record of monumental success. Working for them are experts in all fields. To say that someone from the outside knows whats better for Nikon is silly. Their immediate actions may not be apparent but they are doing what they need to do to be among the leaders in world for imaging products.
They wish.

Nikon and every other company out there rolls the dice pretty much every day.

They make business decisions based on a variety of research, but most of that research is not based on an exact science.

That's why some corporations go out of business.
List of business failures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2007[edit source | editbeta]

2008[edit source | editbeta]

2009[edit source | editbeta]

2010–present[edit source | editbeta]

2010[edit source | editbeta]

2011[edit source | editbeta]

2012[edit source | editbeta]

fine example of my spelling woops lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back