Whats the best tips for photographing my old classic car..

The car is blue.
You want to watch the clorifil in the leaves as they reflect both infrared and UV light causing a contrast issue.
A polorizer is only one of many aspect to consider.

Secondly, shiny cars reflect objects in weird ways because of the curves. lines especially make for distracting aspects so watch the reflections of objects that cause inconsistent shadowing.

Watch the sun, keep it behind you and watch for flair. Star filters can do some interesting effects, but can overpower an image especially if there is alot of chrome.

The concept with a car is to contrast it so it stands out.
Too many reflections and shadows kill the shape of the car.
would it be better to photograph this car on a cloudy day... ? Thanks for tips
Depends.

the issue will be how the colors are affected. many of the other posters got it right especially with daytime sun. Either noon or morning/eve.

The car is blue.
You want to watch the clorifil in the leaves as they reflect both infrared and UV light causing a contrast issue.
A polorizer is only one of many aspect to consider.

Secondly, shiny cars reflect objects in weird ways because of the curves. lines especially make for distracting aspects so watch the reflections of objects that cause inconsistent shadowing.

Watch the sun, keep it behind you and watch for flair. Star filters can do some interesting effects, but can overpower an image especially if there is alot of chrome.

The concept with a car is to contrast it so it stands out.
Too many reflections and shadows kill the shape of the car.
would it be better to photograph this car on a cloudy day... ? Thanks for tips
Depends.

the issue will be how the colors are affected. many of the other posters got it right especially with daytime sun. Either noon or morning/eve.
thanks great advice.. will do until i get it right.

I like this photo.. what do you think.. straight head on.of course without the glare/.should i be lower...
40732_442430704633_4274824_n.jpg

I like this photo.. what do you think.. straight head on.of course without the glare/.should i be lower... View attachment 173461
Honestly? It's okay if you're trying to flog the car on Craig's List otherwise? :thumbno: This is a beautiful car with lines that need to be shown off... What you need to do is find a setting for this car; something that suits the car. A rural scene with a barn in the background, at a railroad crossing... and ideally during golden light. Reflections aren't the worst thing if they're not too intense, and a CPOL will help control them, at least on the painted surfaces.

These are the sorts of images I mean... they're not hard to do, you just need to find the right location...

Example.

'Nother example

Last edited:
I like this photo.. what do you think.. straight head on.of course without the glare/.should i be lower... View attachment 173461
Honestly? It's okay if you're trying to flog the car on Craig's List otherwise? :thumbno: This is a beautiful car with lines that need to be shown off... What you need to do is find a setting for this car; something that suits the car. A rural scene with a barn in the background, at a railroad crossing... and ideally during golden light. Reflections aren't the worst thing if they're not too intense, and a CPOL will help control them, at least on the painted surfaces.

These are the sorts of images I mean... they're not hard to do, you just need to find the right location...

Example.

'Nother example
Okay i understand now... now i will follow some great tips and try them all if possible..thank you

Have a try at 45 degrees from the front. Is there a period location that that can park at and take photos.
Really like the photos

Have a try at 45 degrees from the front. Is there a period location that that can park at and take photos.
Really like the photos
thanks a bunch.. as soon as he uncovers car and gets her back on the road for the shows.. i will try all types of photos with different scenes and different sunlight etc.. then run them past all of you for the right choice..

Oh, I see! I don't check all the categories here so I missed it. What a nice surprise! All suggestions are good but to elaborate on the black & white, try parking the car next to something else of the same time period to tie it to the 50's to give the picture more character.
E.G. If there's an old style, 50's diner around to get into the pic also, an old fifties gas pump/gas station that's been kept up (I saw one recently) or a B&W of the car at an old style Drive-In restaurant.
Heck, even a modern day Sonic Drive-In in B&W would probably help. There's a small town about 30 minutes away from me that hasn't seemed to change in the last 70 years with all the old store fronts still there from the fifties and sixties so old stores in the background would make for a nice addition, I think. Someone dressed up in 50's attire would be good! These are just examples. I think a combination of those things would help give the car some support and maybe help to induce to the viewer a feeling of how life was back in the 50's. Good luck with whatever you try and be sure to post them.

Last edited:
You're right about the last one you posted, a different time of day would help with the glare, etc. I agree with John, if it's that bright and sunny (especially if I was near the water) I'd use a polarizer.

I'd also think about making it a bit tighter, how much trees and gravel do you need? You probably want more background if it's something interesting like that cool barn in the one John posted. Take your time playing around with how you're framing it, see what looks like it will work. You've gotten some beautiful portraits of your dog, have fun with this and keep practicing til you get the hang of it.

Ask yourself if the intent was to change the proportions of the vehicle by using a wider lens. Notice how big the front bumper and headlights look compared to the windshield. The perspective distortion makes a headlight almost the same height as the windshield. That is fine if that was the goal.

Are the trees in the background addding anything to the subject or are they a distraction? Use your DoF to select the areas you want sharp and blur the areas that only would distract.

Don't overlook the artistic value of very close up photos of unique aspects of the car. Like this:
ford_flames.jpg

When a car is static, I'm a fan of a very close shot taken from a low vantage point with a wide lens.

Kinda like down on your knee (or even lower) by the front wheel along the length of the car. I like them brightly lit and shiny, too.
I like that idea to.

Ask yourself if the intent was to change the proportions of the vehicle by using a wider lens. Notice how big the front bumper and headlights look compared to the windshield. The perspective distortion makes a headlight almost the same height as the windshield. That is fine if that was the goal.

Are the trees in the background addding anything to the subject or are they a distraction? Use your DoF to select the areas you want sharp and blur the areas that only would distract.

Don't overlook the artistic value of very close up photos of unique aspects of the car. Like this:
View attachment 173518
oh this is very cool... i would love to do this too...but i just want one very good portrait of car for framing for him.. but i will take some like this just for my own keepsakes.. makes me wonder about seeing the entire ford.. paint job etc..thanks

Example.

'Nother example
This is the reason i wanted to run this past you all.. i want a special photo of the car .. if i were selling it these would be okay.. i definitely think your right .. i need the setting to fit the car.. just a little bit anyway... i want it to mostly of course be the car..thank you.. as far as reflections.. wow am glad i posted these photos up...i just now really saw how it takes away from the clarity.. after all the car should have a paint job that really glows.. not glares....you guys and girls make me really think and look..lol

You're right about the last one you posted, a different time of day would help with the glare, etc. I agree with John, if it's that bright and sunny (especially if I was near the water) I'd use a polarizer.

I'd also think about making it a bit tighter, how much trees and gravel do you need? You probably want more background if it's something interesting like that cool barn in the one John posted. Take your time playing around with how you're framing it, see what looks like it will work. You've gotten some beautiful portraits of your dog, have fun with this and keep practicing til you get the hang of it.
your right.. glare has to go.. tighter photo.. less environment background.. old barn maybe in view but not really focused. thank you.. i will take my time.. and get it right..

Oh, I see! I don't check all the categories here so I missed it. What a nice surprise! All suggestions are good but to elaborate on the black & white, try parking the car next to something else of the same time period to tie it to the 50's to give the picture more character.
E.G. If there's an old style, 50's diner around to get into the pic also, an old fifties gas pump/gas station that's been kept up (I saw one recently) or a B&W of the car at an old style Drive-In restaurant.
Heck, even a modern day Sonic Drive-In in B&W would probably help. There's a small town about 30 minutes away from me that hasn't seemed to change in the last 70 years with all the old store fronts still there from the fifties and sixties so old stores in the background would make for a nice addition, I think. Someone dressed up in 50's attire would be good! These are just examples. I think a combination of those things would help give the car some support and maybe help to induce to the viewer a feeling of how life was back in the 50's. Good luck with whatever you try and be sure to post them.
the 50's olds was easier to photograph.. first off .. i loved that car.. and second.. there was always a neat scene with 50's theme around somewhere.. even at the car shows.. i think i did a pretty good job when it came to photographing her.. but i no longer have that car.. she went to las vegas
232323232%7Ffp83232)uqcshlukaxroqdfv34 ;4)nu=3288)77;)65 )WSNRCG=3 ;2733;( 32(nu0mrj.jpg
.. we just couldn't keep up with two old cars.. alot of money and time.. and harder all the time getting parts..

Most reactions

Back