Whats the difference between holiday snaps and true photographs PHOTO HEAVY

I'm starting to think this matter of snap vs. photograph says more about our need to label and classify, and thus our desire to control, the graphic environment, than anything else.

The great debate continues, yet, here's the Web's definition for "Photograph...

Photograph: a picture or likeness obtained by photography

Synonyms: photo, pic, print, shot, snap, snapshot

Odd..it almost sounds like the same thing.

Once upon a time, the love of capturing images USED to be enough. Photos didn't need to be labeled.

Well, I guess I can continue calling my "snaps" photographs after all. Good to know.

Quick edit: I almost forgot about the newest label... "Record". Even though it's not listed as a synonym, I'm pretty certain it still falls under "photograph"

Last edited:
Well, whatever you call it, there are

- photographs that are meaningless crap to "most people" but very meaningful to a few people (pics of grandma at her 90th birthday)
- photographs which are powerful, moving, interesting to "a lot more people than that" (Weston's Pepper #30)

Whatever you want the terms to be, or if you prefer that there not be any terms, I don't care. These things exist, they are different things. You cannot wave these distinctions away, they exist.

A snap shot is different from a bad image; a snapshot is a click at random without giving thoughts to the composition, the unwanted elements in the frame, a possible good angle etc. Yet by fluke, one may get fine images even that way; conversely even after good planning an image may not be appealing to the majority. More than any thing it is the attitude and not the outcome that makes a snapshot different from a thoughtful photograph
Overall, i like your images :D
You have already received good critical analyses :D

Thanks Frequency

Most reactions

New Topics

Back