What's new

Whats the difference between holiday snaps and true photographs PHOTO HEAVY

I still struggle with this question myself. I have zero interest in the art value of a photo. I'd rather look at a good photo of an interesting subject. Which seems to fall under snapshots.
For me anyway, I just look at exposure, focus and content. I enjoy looking at all these except maybe #6. Six doesn't do much for me other then the interesting cloud formation.
Simple needs of a simple man I guess.
 
Last edited:
...Question... even if a photograph is planned and thought out... can it still be snap? We both know that sometimes a snap can produce a wonderful shot (that looks well thought out), even if it was totally unintentional on the part of the photographer!
I'm not sure. I agree totally that there are lots of great snaps, (This is one of my favorites; taken while walking down the street in Chennai, India, no real thought, camera was likely on 'P' and just "grabbed" the shot and barely slowed down. I love the dichotomy of the man's appearance contrasting with the fact that he's engrossed in a western business magazine!) but I tend to think of a snapshot as literally a shot that was taken in a snap.
 
...Question... even if a photograph is planned and thought out... can it still be snap? We both know that sometimes a snap can produce a wonderful shot (that looks well thought out), even if it was totally unintentional on the part of the photographer!
I'm not sure. I agree totally that there are lots of great snaps, (This is one of my favorites; taken while walking down the street in Chennai, India, no real thought, camera was likely on 'P' and just "grabbed" the shot and barely slowed down. I love the dichotomy of the man's appearance contrasting with the fact that he's engrossed in a western business magazine!) but I tend to think of a snapshot as literally a shot that was taken in a snap.

Now to me, that's an interesting peice of street photography. Very interesting and holds my attention.
 
Last edited:
...Question... even if a photograph is planned and thought out... can it still be snap? We both know that sometimes a snap can produce a wonderful shot (that looks well thought out), even if it was totally unintentional on the part of the photographer!
I'm not sure. I agree totally that there are lots of great snaps, (This is one of my favorites; taken while walking down the street in Chennai, India, no real thought, camera was likely on 'P' and just "grabbed" the shot and barely slowed down. I love the dichotomy of the man's appearance contrasting with the fact that he's engrossed in a western business magazine!) but I tend to think of a snapshot as literally a shot that was taken in a snap.

Nice shot! I like it! How would you classify this? >> http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/just-fun/297473-my-clean-feets.html#post2700569
 
I'd classify it as a 9 on the scale of 10 for clean feet. Am I missing something?
 
Now cropping off those out of focus overexposed weeds and its a more interesting photograph.
 
Without a doubt, Charlies crop improved it 10 fold.
 
...Question... even if a photograph is planned and thought out... can it still be snap? We both know that sometimes a snap can produce a wonderful shot (that looks well thought out), even if it was totally unintentional on the part of the photographer!
I'm not sure. I agree totally that there are lots of great snaps, (This is one of my favorites; taken while walking down the street in Chennai, India, no real thought, camera was likely on 'P' and just "grabbed" the shot and barely slowed down. I love the dichotomy of the man's appearance contrasting with the fact that he's engrossed in a western business magazine!) but I tend to think of a snapshot as literally a shot that was taken in a snap.
Nice shot! I like it! How would you classify this? >> http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/just-fun/297473-my-clean-feets.html#post2700569
I wouldn't!
 
A snap shot is different from a bad image; a snapshot is a click at random without giving thoughts to the composition, the unwanted elements in the frame, a possible good angle etc. Yet by fluke, one may get fine images even that way; conversely even after good planning an image may not be appealing to the majority. More than any thing it is the attitude and not the outcome that makes a snapshot different from a thoughtful photograph
Overall, i like your images :D
You have already received good critical analyses :D
 
The line separating images that look like "snapshots" and images that look like "true photographs" might be more blurry than what we want to think. Just a thought.
 
The line separating images that look like "snapshots" and images that look like "true photographs" might be more blurry than what we want to think. Just a thought.

Yes. It is a continuum, not a pair of disparate categories.

Photographs are "accessible" in the sense that they are meaningful and evocative in some way, to some group of people. If a photograph is "accessible" in this sense to only the photographer, or a small group of intimates (e.g. a photo of grandma at her 90th birthday party is meaningful to her relatives) then it's a "snapshot". If it is meaningful and evocative to a wide population of people (e.g. Weston's Pepper #30) it is a "photograph". In between, there are degrees of universalness of accessibility, to coin an incredibly clumsy phrase. It's a rare photograph that is accessible to nobody. It is a rare photograph that is accessible to a wide audience. Most photographs fall in the middle, someplace.

Where we draw the lines for "everything to the left is a snapshot" and "everything to the right is a photograph" is pretty vague.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom