Whats the difference

Tighearnach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The 12-24 is a full-frame 35mm lens whereas the 10-20 is designed for the 1.5/1.6x cropped bodies and won't work at all on a full frame DSLR (1Ds/5D) or 35mm film bodies.

10mm on a crop body is only equivalent to about 15/16mm in full 35mm terms, so a 12mm on a full-frame body will still be wider and have larger angle of view than 10mm on a crop body.

Does that make sense? lol

Thanks Mav had a feeling that was the case. Do you know if Canon have a similar lens made specifically for the cropped sensor?

I believe the sigma that you were looking at is the widest wide-angle you can get (other than a fish, but most people don't want that severe of distortion).

Thanks Mav had a feeling that was the case. Do you know if Canon have a similar lens made specifically for the cropped sensor?
Canon has the EF-S 10-22mm which is supposed to be an excellent lens from what I've heard, and around $600 USD. It's a better lens than the Nikkor 12-24 f/4 which is over $1000! :grumpy:

All of Canon's EF-S lenses are for cropped bodies only. What do you shoot with?

first post = XTi ;)

thanks Mav, I really need to learn to read better.

All of Canon's EF-S lenses are for cropped bodies only. What do you shoot with?

I think that its worthwhile to note that EF-S are designed for 1.6 crop bodies except the 10D the 1d series have a 1.3x crop, I believe however, that the 1D/s MK III can use EF-S lenses but it utilizes a smaller portion of the sensor, I do not think that the MK I/II can use EF-S.

So, Current EF-S Compatibility line up- XT, XTI, 20D, 30D, 40D

Canon has the EF-S 10-22mm which is supposed to be an excellent lens from what I've heard, and around $600 USD. It's a better lens than the Nikkor 12-24 f/4 which is over $1000! :grumpy:
And you know the 12-24 is a lesser lense why now? Is it because you have one or, shot with one? Im just curious as to where you came to your conclusion.

I think that its worthwhile to note that EF-S are designed for 1.6 crop bodies except the 10D the 1d series have a 1.3x crop, I believe however, that the 1D/s MK III can use EF-S lenses but it utilizes a smaller portion of the sensor, I do not think that the MK I/II can use EF-S.

So, Current EF-S Compatibility line up- XT, XTI, 20D, 30D, 40D
The 10D is a 1.6x also.

And you know the 12-24 is a lesser lense why now? Is it because you have one or, shot with one? Im just curious as to where you came to your conclusion.
Because a certain well known Nikon shooter whose name I shall not mention who also reviewed the Canon mentioned that a) it's a lot wider, b) has far less distortion than any other crop factor wide angle zoom on the market including the Nikon, c) it's a lot cheaper and actually affordable, and d) the lens made him want to seriously switch to Canon

I know that its a 1.6x crop, but I't is not compatible with EF-S lenses. It was designed before Canon introduced EF-S.
Interesting. So if you mount an EF-S lens to a 10D it won't meter or focus or anything? Not usable at all?

Most reactions

Back