What's this thingy-maggigy?

Leftyplayer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think what it's called is a "flash arm" but as I googled that term, I got replies that I couldn't tell if it was the right thing. Basically, I want to use my flash off-camera, but still sort-of mounted -- instead of using a tripod/ monopod or having it directly in the flash socket, I want to use an arm/ bracket instead, so that I can place the flash off to the side of the camera and at various angles. I think I've seen something like that, but not sure what terms to search. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Flash bracket.

The most common use of a flash bracket is to hold the flash up above the lens in both horizontal & vertical orientation. By keeping the flash directly above the lens, you cast shadows down behind the subject. If your flash is off to the side, you will cast a shadow to the side of your subject...and if your subject is close to a wall or something behind them, that shadow will show up in the photo.
There are several types & styles of flash bracket, as you will see. Also note that you will likely need a cord to connect the camera to the flash.

The best/easiest way to improve the light from your flash, is to bounce it off of the walls/ceiling.

The best/easiest way to improve the light from your flash, is to bounce it off of the walls/ceiling.

Unless you're shooting macro outside - which is what I see these brackets used for often, with some type of diffuser.

OK....if you're shooting macro outside, then put something in place to bounce the flash off of. A piece of white paper or a foam core board. Bouncing off of that would dramatically increase the softness of the light.

Depending on what camera you have you could just hold the flash in the other hand and save yourself the money and time...

Perhaps a Flexible Gooseneck similar to this? Atlas Sound GN-13E - Gooseneck Extension GN-13E B&H Photo Video.
For that particular one, you'll have to get a couple of adapters to get your 1/4-20" mount. I had bought a couple to make a macro flash rig and only ended up using one. I'd be interested in selling it with the adapters if you're interested.

Thanks for all helpful links and suggestions.

Just wanted to note that I'm looking to soften the light in this instance.

I don't think using brackets like these will help you soften the light that much. You just get the flash a little bit away from the camera, so that you can set the angle and choose where to put the light. The flash will still be a small and precise source of lights, and I am sure it will be leaving the same type of lights and shadows as it would do on camera. To get softer lights, you will need something to soften the light. As already mentioned in this thread, you can have the light bounce of the wall or ceiling. You can also use some very small soft boxes on your flash, bouncers etc to soften down the light a bit!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back