whats wrong with this redheads photos?

ewick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So here are the settings in general. nikon D90 with a AB1600 through a beauty dish.
I am asking whats wrong with these because I just got the ASUS flip monitor and this monitor is supposed to be calibrated and what you see on screen is what your are pretty much supposed to get in print. Well, my MBP's screen seems to be really bright and my histogram shows it to be good. so I am wondering if my MBP screen is not calibrated or my new asus is the one to blame?
Of course all C&C is welcomed. so how do these images look on your monitor? Thanks for your input.

8325079674_78853d3430_z.jpg
[/URL] katie by pop-a-dot, on Flickr[/IMG]

8325080920_e2703fda20_z.jpg
[/URL] katie by pop-a-dot, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG] katie by pop-a-dot, on Flickr[/IMG]

Well. First of all, you will NEVER get a monitor to look exactly like a print. Additive color is not subtractive color. Period. Ever.

Now. The image. It's really impossible to say what's going on, because we have no idea what you have in mind. What I can tell you is this, the color in the file, provided that you do not convert from one space to another should be absolute, regardless what the monitor thinks it should be.

So what I can tell you is that the skin is very red, with on average a 10% disparity from the other channels, and in fact, the other two channels are pretty equal overall. So this means that the only color in her skin is red, which is not likely very natural. You may have added excess red to compensate a cyan bias on the MBP monitor?

If you need to get previously edited photos to look right on your new monitor, let me know, I have information on that somewhere on the interwebs.

Well. First of all, you will NEVER get a monitor to look exactly like a print. Additive color is not subtractive color. Period. Ever.

Now. The image. It's really impossible to say what's going on, because we have no idea what you have in mind. What I can tell you is this, the color in the file, provided that you do not convert from one space to another should be absolute, regardless what the monitor thinks it should be.

So what I can tell you is that the skin is very red, with on average a 10% disparity from the other channels, and in fact, the other two channels are pretty equal overall. So this means that the only color in her skin is red, which is not likely very natural. You may have added excess red to compensate a cyan bias on the MBP monitor?

If you need to get previously edited photos to look right on your new monitor, let me know, I have information on that somewhere on the interwebs.

Hmmmm, I actually removed the reds from her skin. if the last part of your comment wasnt sarcastic and you really do have info that i can search I would be interested.

The problem isn't so much that she's too red, it's that she is, for the most part, ONLY red. Think of it this way - let's say you have a light grey swatch, if you wanted to make it a shade of red (i.e. "pink") you'd add only red, leading green and blue alone.

This is essentially what you have going on here, and you end up with a model that is very pink-skinned, with her complexion it doesn't look all THAT bad, but could probably use some yellow - or, in RGB terms, less blue. So I suppose really, she's too "blue" even though red is the most dominant thing that one would see as being "wrong".

Because currently the color is equally proportioned blue and green, removing more red would only approach grey (desaturation) and eventually, if there is less red than blue and green, cyan.

You don't want TOO much yellow, however, perhaps only 3-5% less blue than green over her skin tones. Try entering the following curve translation on the blue channel 148:143 to 140 (input:eek:utput, luminance).

----

Here is the thread I was telling you about, I have no idea if it actually works - but it does make sense.

Adobe Community: Rendering previous images in a new CMS workflow

Last edited:
Here's my super quick edit. Notice the curve, I anchored the hilights so that her shirt would remain white. I also masked out the background, except the rocks. I also opted to add blue to the shadows, primarily to neutralize the shoreline, adding some depth and improved contrast - remember, color plays a big role in what we perceive as "contrast".

$8325079674.jpg
(click for CM version)

$curvu.jpg

Also, it is advisable to convert to sRGB for web use.

Long list here:

Unpopular is right here skin tones are too red.

Consider this side by side with your original on your left.

$red_head.jpg

You posted the photos in the Adobe RGB colorspace (Unpop noted that as well). Don't do that. Photos that you place on the Internet have the best chance of looking like you created them if you post them tagged sRGB.

It's better than the average laptop, but the MBP is still a laptop and the display is not suitable for photo editing.

The Asus display may be good, but there's no such thing as "supposed to be calibrated." It will be calibrated when you calibrate it using an appropriate calibration device. If you haven't calibrated your display using something like this: X-Rite: EODIS3 : i1Display Pro then your display isn't calibrated. You need to do that.

You took these photos with the camera white balance set to auto. Auto white balance doesn't work. Your best options are:
1. Set a custom white balance on site.
2. Include a white balance target in a test frame and use that in the raw converter to set the white balance.

Joe

Long list here:

Unpopular is right here skin tones are too red.

Consider this side by side with your original on your left.

View attachment 30466

You posted the photos in the Adobe RGB colorspace (Unpop noted that as well). Don't do that. Photos that you place on the Internet have the best chance of looking like you created them if you post them tagged sRGB.

It's better than the average laptop, but the MBP is still a laptop and the display is not suitable for photo editing.

The Asus display may be good, but there's no such thing as "supposed to be calibrated." It will be calibrated when you calibrate it using an appropriate calibration device. If you haven't calibrated your display using something like this: X-Rite: EODIS3 : i1Display Pro then your display isn't calibrated. You need to do that.

You took these photos with the camera white balance set to auto. Auto white balance doesn't work. Your best options are:
1. Set a custom white balance on site.
2. Include a white balance target in a test frame and use that in the raw converter to set the white balance.

Joe

OK let me see if I understood this (bare with me) I use ACR and then cs5 for minor adjustments. when you say tagged sRGB does it mean I should change it in ACR? as well as cs5? I see the difference in the photos and totally agree. now I just have to figure out how to get there. As for WB I have a expodisk and should have used it but I didnt. I'm not sure what you meant
any additional help you guys can provide would be a huge help as I am still learning every day. Thanks fellas.

Editing experts recommend using the widest color space available when editing. and in ACR that would be ProPhoto RGB.

Convert to sRGB in CS 5 as a last step by clicking on Edit > Convert To Profile and in the dialog box Destination Space - select sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

To set the working color space in Camera Raw (ACR) click on the blue highlighted line at the bottom of the page to open the Camera Raw Preferences dialog box.

ClickHere.jpg

DIALOGbOX.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back