I bought my first camera, a Kodak 126 Instamatic, when I was about 12. I knew nothing about photography except I liked to take snapshots. When I was in high school, I decided to join the photography club and yearbook staff where I learned the basics of black & white development and printing. I used to borrow dad's Minolta SRT-101, so for my birthday (1975) he gave me a Minolta Hi-matic 7s rangefinder (I still have it). I quickly learned a few basics of setting exposures, and a few years later I got a Minolta SRT-201 SLR, but was still just taking a bunch of snaps.
A few years ago (2007 or so) I decided I wanted to get serious about the hobby and move to digital, so I bought a Nikon D40 (still my main camera) and a kit lens. I found a nice little free online course and picked up some good tips on composition, exposure and basic lighting. Soon afterward, I stumbled onto this place. I also started back to college on a part-time basis around this time. One semester, I wasn't able to get one of my geography classes for the time I needed (I was still working full time) so I took an art class. Then I took two more. Then I took three photography classes: two film and one digital.
I have no desire to make this a business. I have my sights on a full frame body and some decent glass, and hope to get at least one of them this year.