When a photo you enjoy gets negative CC

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Even if you take in the CC, if you have a photo that no one else thinks is a good photo, but you see the good and disagree, do you stand by the photo or admit photo fail?

Ultimately you can do whatever you want. Opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone has one and they all stink ;)

I usually become kind of callous for a little while and then I realize that I put the effort into the image, I created it, if I enjoy it then who cares what somebody on an internet forum says. You can either create pictures that may not be perfect but that you love, or you can create images that you aren't too fond of, but that are generally accepted as 'correct.'

I'd rather be imperfect, and happy with my images, than "sell out" and try to please others.

Words of Wisdom from Ricky Nelson: "You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself."

I take what they offer for advice, tips, critique, smarmy comments, etc., into consideration and I thank them for their point of view.

That doesn't mean I agree with it, and it doesn't mean I'll heed it, and it doesn't mean I'll change that photo or future photos or my vision as a whole to conform to their point of view. I will stay true to my own vision.

It doesn't mean I'll I stay stuck in a rut just to be stubborn about it either though. I will readily adjust my photography, my vision, my methods, if they make sense to me, no matter where I picked them up and no matter who offered them to me or in what context.

If most people say it is bad, I would agree with them. If it is a mixed CC.. maybe not.

Even if you take in the CC, if you have a photo that no one else thinks is a good photo, but you see the good and disagree, do you stand by the photo or admit photo fail?

I think it depends on the image. If it brings any feelings out in you then I would stand by it. If not, then yeah, probably not so good. For me, I got bad c&c for a pic I posted of my kid. After the flaws have been pointed out I understand that its not a 'great' photo by professional standards, but I still love the photo anyway ;)

If most people say it is bad, I would agree with them. If it is a mixed CC.. maybe not.
Not me. If I like a photograph and everyone else in the world doesn't then their comments roll off my back.

I'm not trying to sell my photographs, I'm not trying to prove anything, and I'm not trying to impress anyone. I shoot what I like and if **I** like it then I'm content. That's not to say I don't listen to criticism, I do and I thank them for their comments. If I feel it will improve a photograph I'll give it a try. If I like the results that's great, and if I don't then I don't [shrug].

In my opinion unless one is trying to provide a client what they want (in which case one might not agree with the final adjustments) then the first, last, and only person that has to "Like" a photograph is them.

That said, I do go back and look at my photographs from years past and wonder what in the hell I could have liked about some of them. Either my tastes or my abilities have changed over time, and I don't know which ;)

It doesn't matter if it's bad, a photo that would probably be considered bad on this forum just sold for a million dollars so I'd prefer to have the million dollars than peer praise.

When a photo you enjoy gets negative CC
What is negative C&C?

C&C that says, "I like it." is pretty much negative, useless, C&C.

C&C that says, "I don't like it." is equally, negative, useless, C&C.

C&C that says, I like it (or don't like it) because........"the backround is busy", or "the lighting is flat", or "the composition of the image elements is unbalanced", or whatever are all positive C&C.

There is only one person I have to prove something to: myself. So, what others think of my work is of very little consequence.

If I showed some of my commercial work here it would get torn to shreds because it is not interesting at all. And although it would be correct, it is not the point of those shots. They are technically just fine and the goal for them is achieved. Period.

Some other shots would get high-fives for the wrong reasons. I shoot some fairly exotic cars because I have a couple museums as clients. I also shoot some cars that the public won't be seeing for another 9 or 12 months. Car freaks would get all excited about those no matter what the actual quality of the images was.

And that is the reality of C&C. To be honest, I found it much easier to C&C photos when I was teaching workshops that were art oriented. In the art world, it is fairly easy to find something to say that relates to the legacy, the history of the medium and, no matter what, you can always make it sound intelligent.

But when you deal with commercial work, so much needs to be explained about the point of the photo, the point of the negative space in the top left corner, etc, etc that by the time you are finished explaining, the shot is dead.

When you deal with photos that are meant as family shots, personal memories, etc, it's even worse.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think C&C is very useful for beginners because beginners don't even know what they are looking for/looking at and the C&C is a form of guidance into finding their own way.

Unless, that is, all they want is a slap on the back and a "you're such a great photog."

Someone mentioned a million dollar photo that sucks. I think they meant this one:

The Most Expensive Photograph In The World

It actually sold for 4 1/2 million dollars and is the top seller in the world. I happen to like the photo but I also understand why a lot of people would thing it sucks.

Here's another very high priced one. One I find absolutely ridiculous:

Avertissement de redirection

If I'd shown this here it would have been shot down except for the fact of the subject. Members would have been impressed that I took a photo of the president's family but there is so much wrong with this shot that I would have been ripped a new a**hole. However, this was shot by a very well respected photog so we don't dare say it's a piece of crap.

Welcome to the world of C&C.

I'm gonna borrow bits and pieces from something I posted earlier which I believe resoundshere.

The most important question: Who are you trying to appeal to? Yourself, or others?

It's fine to disregard the opinions of others in casual personal works. Some people, maybe even you, value others opinions and often those opinions will have patterns and tendencies based on the image you provide for critique.

I also believe that just like any other art, photography has a substantial number of those who do it poorly and a few who do it extremely well. There are varying degrees of professionalism, as in photography. Who's to judge whether a work shared to the world is done well or poorly? Well who better than the group of forum users on this board? Some who've made a career out of photography, others who are studied and versed enough to be useful to you. Still, some others who won't be useful and do not have the credentials (but you need to filter these people out). These people can see an image and point out its flaws. This is for YOUR benefit.

The problem is that what YOU consider a "good" image, the common opinion may be to the contrary. You may find your image good just because you "like it" or due to lack of experience. Someday you may look back and see the errors you've made and suddenly understand what you did wrong and how you could've improved. All of the sudden all the negative critique makes sense.

But the underlying logic here is that with much of art there is almost always going to be a popular opinion on an image. This general opinion is derived from personal tastes, experiences, trial and error of the audience. Obviously the audience here is going to be more critical and anlaytical of your photos than the layman. So when you say "When a photo you enjoy gets negative CC" what do you do?

It goes back to the big question. Who are you trying to appeal to? Yourself, or others? Therein lies your answer .

OP I think it depends...if the feedback and insight you are receiving is from individuals who are qualified and are among those you trust to care about your future efforts, then take that information and consider it as a means to improve.

Most reactions

Back