When a photo you enjoy gets negative CC

I have to say, that I have only been at this for a lil over a month, and I have been on here for a few weeks, and I really feel like I have grown a LOT as a photographer is just this short amount of time.

I'm a major advocate for CC. Also, when I get a "good" photo compliment, it means a LOT more.

Just an example of what not disregarding CC can do

Before CC

PC100769-2.jpg

PC100782-4.jpg

PC030641.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

After CC

PC100769-4.jpg

PC100782-6.jpg

PC030643-1.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

I know there are no award winning images, but they are much stronger since I took in what was said and did not get defensive. Amd hopefully once I get an actual camera, I will stop having this focusing issue. I edited them all myself.

But no amount of CC in the world could save this hunk of junk LOL :lol:

PC140826.jpg

Last edited:
This is normal. I think I'd estimate 95% of my shots are abysmal failures as far as actual photography is concerned. Maybe 1% I truly enjoy looking at and thinking about... would print and hang. I reckon those with more experience have a higher success rate, but I doubt it's better than 10%. Having failure images is how we grow, as long as either we, or someone else, is honest to us and points us in the right direction.

i will still love my negative review photo... regardless of what anyone says.. but i will open my eyes and take in as much advice as i can for the next photo i will hopefully love even more.

Honestly, I consider the source... If a person has shown themselves to be a good shooter than some random bloke who doesnt show his/her own work but who spends bours a day blabbing about what others are doing.

This is especially true when talking about photos taken on some pretty intense technical dives... I had one lad telling me my lighting was wrong when I was shooting inside of a silty wreck, 43 degree water 120 feet down... Guy didnt even dive. Yeah, I am going to listen to him.

You're probably right in that we tend to skip over the good and only go for what we can improve upon. Sometimes it's a time/hurry thing. Most of all I think it's an "understood" thing. If your exposure is good and no one tells you it's bad, do you really need to be told it's good? Not exactly the 'friendliest' approach, but "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is kind of how this works for most giving the critique.

Although I agree that that is often the way we do/look at things here, it is in fact unfortunate. And, yes, I'm guilty of it too. Yes, the more advanced photogs will get that it is an "understood" thing but the newer ones will probably not. I was reminded of this when I started teaching a workshop again recently. The newer photogs don't necessarily know what is good unless you tell them :) And in a group situation where everyone looks at things somewhat differently, sometimes you will be saying things for the others in the group rather than the author of the photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back