When will Nikon catch up/match Canon in Video?

Nikon_Josh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As a Nikon user, I'm pleased with the way Nikon has matched Canon for performance in stills quality. But recently I have developed an interest in experimenting with Video, as I'm amazed at some of the results on Vimeo. When will Nikon catch up though to Canon?

The thing I do find slightly frustrating though, is the fact that Canon is now owning Nikon in Video quality? It seems a bit similar to when Canon was first to the game and began owning Nikon in the Pro Market in Digital. I understand Canon has a rich history in the Video, so has a distinct advantage. But it is a shame Nikon has been so slow in replying to Canon's advanced video features.

Nikon seem to be losing out on a big potential money maker here, seeing as they were the first to develop a video function in a DSLR (D90, which means Nikon have been putting R and D in to video for a few years now). It seems slightly peculiar to me that Nikon have taken 3 years to come anywhere near Canon and is showing me perhaps why Canon maintains the 'marketing' edge. The D800 and D400 will supposedly address the problem if they are ever announced.

To make 'Marketing' gaffs worse, they release the 30FPS 1080 HD on the d5100 and the higher d7000 with more manual controls is left at 'only' 24FPS 1080 HD with no firmware update.

Supposedly the Nikon d7000 was going to kill the Canon 60D but it clearly hasn't. Anyway, I know this sounds like a whine. But in reality, its just frustration Canon seem to understand marketing.

This is a 'videographers' view of the Nikon D7000... Clearly showing why Canon are being chosen for Video features. Why you should never buy a Nikon D5100 or D7000 for shooting video | EOSHD.com

September 29th, 2013, at 4:06 PM. Bank on it!

Here is an interesting comparison shoot-out of several d-slr video cameras, conducted by Hollywood directors, cameramen, and directors of photography. Real, top-level, Hollywood cinema people.'

What's interesting is that the best video done in almost no light is not 35mm film, not Canon, but is Nikon D3s...watch the videos for yourself and see. No-light, low-light video is where Nikon beats the competition handily. Kind of shows that the D3s is designed for the news/sports/photojournalism/low-light arenas more than the Canons are.

Zacuto HD-DSLR Shootout «

Last edited:
haha, great reply Derrel. Chances are though you are probably right! I admire your psychic powers!

Yeah really interesting stuff, that incredible full frame 12MP sensor shows its low light brilliance once more!

You want to do video?

Buy a video camera.

But the 5DM2 IS a video camera now - its also smaller, cheaper (even with the added extras to improve ergonomics and control for video) and it can do cracking good stills - plus work with all your wonderful canon glass. Heck DSLRs (even the crop ones) have a bigger sensor size than most commercial digital video cameras.

http://vimeo.com/11082700

Start here, at 10:30 in Webisode 2, and listen as Hollywood Directors of Photography and Directors talk about using d-slr video footage, and then see the side-by-side comparisons done in ultra-low light (one Bic lighter) capabilities of the Canon 1D Mark IV versus the Nikon D3s. According to the producers, only the Canon 1D Mark IV and the Nikon D3s can shoot video at ISO values ABOVE ISO 640. Frankly, at the higher ISO settings, the Nikon simply kicks the Canon's ass. Seriously. In a big, big way.

This series of web videos on Vimeo compares Canon: 5D MKII, 7D, 1D, 550D/T2i Rebel, Nikon D3s, and Panasonic GH1, against 35mm motion picture film, and against one another.

It is probably the ONLY exhaustive test done by qualified people, and judged by so many pairs of professional "eyes". Not a one-man saying this, or one gal saying this kind of deal, but a room FULL of Hollywood cinema professionals, evaluating video capabilities of the various d-lsr cameras.

Good point Formatted but... that shallow DOF look is what I love. Small sensor camcorders that are dreadful in low light and keep everything in focus hold little appeal to me, I'm not aiming to create those 'home movie' style videos.

Yes Overread, it's clear to see why Canon had a huge success with the 5D Mk2.

To me the videos taken by video camera and DSLR are apple and orange. They are simply different for different purposes. There are techniques that DSLR can do that a video camera cannot, and capabilities in a video camera that DSLR doesn't have. So to say that video camera is always more appropriate isn't always true.

I too wish nikon put in more capable video features in their DSLR.

I too wish nikon put in more capable video features in their DSLR.

From the canon side I wish the marketing department would ease up and allow some firmwire upgrades to existing DSLRs. The 5DM2 only became great after a firmwire unlock or a lot of its features and several of the lower tier bodies even have good, software based, controls that the upper ones don't = eg the 600D has both a digital zoom feature for video mode (para focusing!) and also manual volume audio control - features the 7D lacks and the 5DM2 even lacks the digital zoom.

However bodies are bodies and shift around really fast - the big difference, and where Canon might well pull ahead, is in lenses. Canons new super telephoto lenses (which have still to hit the market) are coming out with larger focusing wheel controls and an approach to better working with video based focusing controls. If they carry this mindset through with the rest of their lens lineup they could steal a win by making more para-focusing zoom lenses (why the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2 didn't come with this feature is a little confusing, but I put it down to it being already developed by the time that the DSLR video craze really kicked off).

thumbs up Goes for both sides.

The Nikon capabilities in video dont make it unusable...

The Canon capabilities in stills dont make it unusable...

Perhaps we are all just splitting hairs over who has the right to say I am best.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back